Account limitations

James_ID
New Community Member

First off, please note this is not the account I'm having trouble with.  Infact, I CANNOT even post on the forums without re-validating and updating my information on that account.  So in other words, I must make this account just to come on the forums to try to get help for my real paypal account and to find out why everything on that account must be updated and changed.  Nice job designing that system guys, I can tell you really thought that one out...

Ok, so my main question is: Why am I required to re-validate and confirm my account after it's already been confirmed for years? 

I've used my paypal account for years to make online payments, and adding money my account has been done through my VERIFIED bank account.  I also have 3 credit cards all verified with my account, all my information has been verified for years (location, bank, phone), but now all of a sudden PayPal requires me to change: my password, security questions, and confirm my location.   I find no point in doing this, I don't understand why we are automatically required to change these.

This morning I tried to send a payment (94.50 USDs) to another paypal account for online goods (no product delivery).  Upon attempting to send the money (also that I had to wait 5 days to receive from my confirmed bank) I got an error saying my account was limited and I should check out "My account limitations".  So I went to account limits and it says, for Sending, "Limit lifted: Completed".  After that I tried sending just $1 to the same person (also has a verified account) and I get the same error, that my account is limited.

Afterwards I click on a link that tells me why my account is limited and it says I need to do 3 steps to, apparently, revalidate everything I've had confirmed for years.  The "Date Limited" on all of them is March 16th of this year. (Why?  What happened then?  I wasn't notified of a **bleep** thing!)  Those 3 steps I need to take is: 1. Change password, 2. Update security questions, and 3. Confirm Location.  All of which I've already completed years ago.

I've been waiting over 2 weeks to complete this deal, and I've waited the time it took to get that money into my Paypal account, and now when I finally have the chance to finish it, PayPal steps in and tells me my account isn't confirmed.  I'm loosing patience very fast.  Please tell me why PayPal automatically set my status back to "unconfirmed".  Or if anyone on the forum could recommend an alternative to this joke of a system, PLEASE tell me.  I've just about had it with PayPal...

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

lizgrisham1990
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Is it really that big of a deal to update that info?

Paypal has there reasons...

Maybe someone with unauthorized access tried getting into your account... Paypal saved your butt.

Just change the basic information and go about your business, no big deal..

you're quiet fortunate to be in the forums here fussing about it.. some people on here I have helped has had limitations where they had to scan and upload there social secruity number for PROOF of identity, as well as drivers license, and confirm phone and many other steps..  i would not complain with those basic actions they want you to complete, it could be alot worse.

As far as help, there is nothing no one can do, even PayPal staff will tell you "Sorry, it's required"  They may can give you a reason why, if you call them.. other than that... you're out of options.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi James_ID,

If the limitation is asking you to change your password, there was some indication that there may have been unauthorized access. Sometimes it's legitimate activity from you, but the system flags it and holds the account in limitation and the transaction in pending status in order to confirm with you that it's actually you making the payment instead of a fraudster using your password. While it is certainly inconvenient in situations where it's really you, it is there to keep your money protected.

I recommend closing your alternate account immediately. Circumventing a limitation - even one placed for your protection - is a violation of the PayPal User Agreement. It's easy to understand the desire to gain access to the ability to post in the forums, but the system will interpret the use of a circumvention account as suspicious activity (potentially from a fraudster committing identity theft), and that may prolong or complicate your current limitation.

If you complete the steps to lift your limitation and acknowledge the payment as authorized, you'll be back in the saddle fairly quickly. If you have any problems or questions, give Customer Solutions a call and they'll help you out.

I hope this helps!

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

NormanK
New Community Member

Paypal did almost the same thing to me last night with a twist. As I was paying for an Ebay item I got hit with a page stating they are upgrading their security and the first thing they asked for were my full credit card and bank account numbers. I thought for sure that they had been highjacked and logged out. Using a different computer I logged back in to find the same thing. When it came to confirming location it refused to do it by phone so I uploaded my driver's license and it just sat there saying processing. By this time I'm freaked that the site may have been highjacked, so I try to call them only to get a record message that all of their offices are closed. I've spent a sleepless night worried that I just gave everything away. To do this with an automated system with no method of verification is a HUGE security breach to me.

Login to Me Too

FinanceGeek1
Contributor
Contributor

I want to give PayPal the benefit of the doubt but would someone please explain to me why my bank account number is needed in order to be "verified" before I could make anymore payment for my eBay autions?  I feel vulnerable in this situation and thinking about removing the bank account altogether after the transaction has completed.  But this would limit my future purchases with eBay or any other merchants who accept PayPal as the only form of payment.

Any reasons why our bank account numbers are needed to "link" the accounts?  Thanks.

Login to Me Too

lizgrisham1990
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

That's a security step to prove identity, If paypal did not confirm identity of users, then we could all be scammers and keep making accounts 😛  - Just a extra layer of protection for sellers/buyers... And, that's why PayPal still exists with a reputable name unlike amazon payments/moneybookers.

Login to Me Too

FinanceGeek1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. And I guess the reason why we cannot select credit card on file as the primary form of payment is to protect the merchants as well.  That way, for some reason, the buyers will not be able to deny the charges after they receive the goods...it will make them go through the proper channels of disputing the charges if the goods received are not acceptable. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.