unauthorised transactions for very large amounts

phaedra1106uk
Contributor
Contributor

Just had two unauthorised payments through my account for €5,572.09 each 😞

These are from a German company I've never used or even heard of and were for several high quality drones with HD cameras, shipping address is a tenement area just outside central Paris, France.  That is very worrying considering what's been hapening in recent months.

Paypal deducted the amount both times from my bank account, no email was sent to me as there normally is confirming the transactions.  Luckily I don't have anywhere near that amount in my account so the bank re-credited the funds but I'm now going to be charged 2x £15 charges for having insufficient funds to pay for an unauthorised debit attempt by Paypal.

Surely Paypal have all my details?, I don't live at the address, I don't have any address in France at all!.

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

zzleezz
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly this is happening to me right now.

Have disputed the transaction with Paypal but they have said 

"After reviewing your PayPal account and investigating your recent payment, we couldn't identify any access by a third party.

We've determined that your account displays a consistent payment history and for this reason, we cannot reverse the payment."

Have been on the phone to Paypal twice and have been told that the payment is legit and came from my usual patterns.

Never ordered anything over £500 using Paypal EVER, for a start I dont have that kind of money. This amount is over £4700 and they say its consistent with my payment history.

I am furious.

Have reported the fraud to the police and have blocked all payments from my bank account.

This amount of money would ruin me and my family.

Login to Me Too

phaedra1106uk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi 🙂

I eventually managed to get the payments refunded, first time they came up short by almost £290, took 5 phone calls yesterday to get it sorted.

Of course my bank are still saying they were valid Paypal transactions and are wanting to charge me 2 x £15 for not having enough money in the account to pay them (luckily!).

Mine were for 8 very high quality drones with 4K cameras shiped to a dodgy area, a run down tenement in south east Paris.  Given what's happened recently in France and Germany I also contacted The National Counter Terrorism Security Office and gave them details of the transaction, address, supplier etc.

Keep at them, they have to prove it was you who authorised the payments, not just that it looks like you, they will have to provide IP address logs showing times, dates and locations for the transactions based on the IP address.

Nice to see this has been active here for a week without any reply from Paypal 😞

Login to Me Too

zzleezz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replying. 

I also searched for your username and found you on twitter, sent you a message on there which you can ignore now 🙂

My problem is exactly the same, same item ordered from the same place. Only one on my account though, but same amount as yours.

I have raised a dispute with PP and they have said 3 times now that they think its a legit transaction and that I have to pay. They said  "After reviewing your PayPal account and investigating your recent payment, we couldn't identify any access by a third party.

We've determined that your account displays a consistent payment history and for this reason, we cannot reverse the payment."

They are now asking if I have proof that my PC was hacked which I am trying to provide.

How did you find the address of the buyer? On mine it just said the shop (Shopsystem GMBH) and the item, no further details.

If you could send me any more details that might help me I would really appreciate it?

Login to Me Too

phaedra1106uk
Contributor
Contributor

My reply has gone,  here it is again.

Look in your transaction history, open up the transaction and there should be a Sent To address,  mine was

My Name

Emmanuel chabrier 11

92390 Villeneuve la Garenne

France

If you look up the email address it comes back to,

http://www.rc-toy.de/cosmoshop/cgi-bin/lshop.cgi

Get back on to Paypal and let them know you have evidence of another account which has also been used and they have accepted that one as fradulent.

I'm now passing a copy of all of this thread to someone at the UK counter terrorism team who wants it.

Hope this helps  🙂

I have saved this entire page and will be advising counter terrorism if my post is removed again.

Login to Me Too

zzleezz
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like the exact same item but possibly from a different merchant. Slightly different price.

Am very concerned that this has terrorist connections. They really want quadcopters for something.

Address was in the very same area but a different street.

haut de la noue 23
92390 Villeneuve la Garenne

France

If you want to put me in contact with UK Counter Terrorism I would be happy to talk to them. You can DM me on twitter if needed.

Out of interest I dont suppose you have Teamviewer installed on your computer? Im wondering if thats how they got in....

Login to Me Too

phaedra1106uk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'll pass the offer (and the address) along and see what he says.

No, I don't have team viewer, my system is closed and secure (I do this for a living) my internet connection is extremely well protected 🙂

Login to Me Too

zzleezz
Contributor
Contributor

Oh!

I have assumed that my computer was compromised in some way (I did just find 33 infected items on the drive I was using before this happened). Paypal say that the transaction was consistent with my buying patterns, implying that the purchase was made from my computer.

I wonder if thats why you were able to get your money back from them.

Login to Me Too

phaedra1106uk
Contributor
Contributor

They never asked about my security and didn't give any details about the investigation.  I'd phone them back up and point them to this thread showing at least 1 other user having the same item(s) purchased and shipped to the same area, that points to an organised fraud attempt not just some random purchase by mistake.

Login to Me Too

zzleezz
Contributor
Contributor
I will do. Thanks so much for your kind help. This has stressed me enormously. Stopped me sleeping at night. Really unhappy with the way paypal assume I'm at fault.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.