Re: Gumtree sellers scam through PayPal / MoneyGram

JR1999
New Community Member

First time I have used Gumtree. Trying to sell a Sofa/Setee and was obviously delighted to receive an early response from Helena Barr (elenabarr) But when the following email arrived from her, I was immediately suspicious:

Hi, I've sent the payment! My PayPal shows they've sent a confirmation email so check your email box.

I have made collection arrangement but the courier need payment paid to their Home office to schedule collection date.

But I'm away for work and unable visit a money gram shop to send it.

I included £400 so you will help send £370 to the courier's Home office and use £30 for Moneygram fee, here is the details needed to send it at Moneygram.

First Name: Babs

Last Name: DANIEL

Address: 11 Rotana Way, Sharjah 

You will receive £1800, kindly let me know once you've sent the £370 through money gram at Tesco this morning to the courier so they can schedule collection arrangement for the pick up.

Many thanks

I have now politely told her where to go. Similar messages also received from Nicola (mamaxtian02)

and Amber (amberscott)

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JR1999

Yes this scam has been ongoing for years and is all over this forum and the internet.

Glad you were not caught out.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

hugolondon
New Community Member

I uploaded 7 items to gumtree as moving in a month. Within 24 hours - 2 replies that match this situation. 

This Scam is still happening! 

Situation:

I'm interested but cant see the item because of xyz excuse (disabled / work on a oil rig) [red flag] so will send a courrier. 

then money comes through as pending, [red flag] more than the cost of the item (seriously who does that) asking to transfer the difference, to pay for the courier in cash [red flag]. Address is in Nigeria [red flag].

If someone isn't prepare to see the item before buying it and the face to face aspect is removed its BS - don't be an optimist!

Login to Me Too

Gillie1
New Community Member

Just had this this morning, I’m glad I saw this post. I thought it was weird. Florence Dickson wanting to send the money to Poland. Disabled, using a courier etc......

Login to Me Too

Is2
New Community Member
Still happening. Same scam today. The fake paypal email confirmation came through this address paypals (at) teamspay.com and the shipping company was parcel2goshipping (at) gmail.com Request to send courier money to moneygram to Name:MELDA FANSA Address: cad 71 sokak 2000 City: Istanbul Zip code : 34000 Country: Turkey
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.