Possible spoof emails

B35ty

Having recently sold (and i say that lightly as i think it is a scam buyer) I have started receiving emails claiming to be from Paypal. The buyer, originally with a London address, now wants the item shipped to Nigeria - which i never agreed to in the first place.

The buyer, and the 'emails' claim that money has been withdrawn from the buyers account and is awaiting the despatch details before funds will be relaesed to me. This has never been the case in the past, once paid the money arrives in sellers account, then the despatch details can be given.

I am right aren't I?  This is a scam

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You are correct >THIS IS A SCAM.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Most scams originate from Nigeria and people there cannot even own a paypal account.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You are correct >THIS IS A SCAM.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Most scams originate from Nigeria and people there cannot even own a paypal account.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

B35ty

Thankyou kernowlass.

I knew it was but thought to get the communiy involved for piece of mind

Login to Me Too

jellemeeze

my message keeps getting deleted, it complies with the guidelines

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jellemeeze

As far as i can see none of your posts have been removed.

www.paypal-community.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/6145611

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

tonydelarusci
Contributor
Contributor

I recieved email "PayPal Account Suspended" <contacto@mch-solutions.com.mx>

Security notice

We are writing to inform you about recent initiative taken by PayPal to secure our network against online fraud by authenticating our clients randomly on the basis of the threat level of their account.
Your account has been filtered by our system for authentication. Please view the possible events listed below for this cause

Possible events occurred

1. Log in attempts from an unusual or unrecognized device or location.

2. Requesting any operation using unusual pattern.

1. Too many incorrect log in attempts.

For security, all your account services are disabled until response has been received from you.

Please click "Authenticate now" button below to confirm your possesion.

Confirm now

Thank you,
PayPal

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. is duly licenced as a Luxembourg credit institution in the sense of Article 2 of the law of 5 April 1993 on the financial sector as amended and is under the prudential supervision of the Luxembourg supervisory authority, the Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier, with registered office in L-1150 Luxembourg.

© 1999–2016 PayPal Inc.

I've had no problems to date with PayPal and suspect clicking on Confirm Now would lead to problems

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tonydelarusci

Yep spoof email, paypal would never tell you to enter sensitive financial or log in information via a link in an email.

If there were issues with your account they would tell you to go to the resolution centre in your paypal account after logging in normally.

Read this >>

https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/article/FAQ2061/2

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

tonydelarusci
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Kernowlass

Wanted to let people know what not to "Confirm now"

Tony

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tonydelarusci

Absolutely  Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.