Is this a scam?

IGordon

It may be a better idea to post this on eBay but it's still relevant to PayPal

I sold my iPad on eBay to a guy with no feedback but they've had the account since December 18th 2013. I got an e-mail off eBay titled "Assurance message for your sales on eBay Item: Apple iPad Mini 16GB Wi-Fi Cellular White ". Immediately I noticed grammatical errors and inconsistencies and it reads informally. Basically its saying the funds have been deducted from their PayPal account and will be paid into mine when I send it or provide a shipment barcode.

I've sold items via eBay before (granted, none as valuable as an iPad) but PayPal have only emailed me to say I've recieved payment so I'm a bit uneasy about this.

It also says "We would advise you to proceed with the transaction and ship the item, the buyer is a trust worthy person and it has been confirmed by us" which doesn't sound like something an official email would say.

Am I being scammed?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Oh yes, you will probably find that ebay id has been hacked.

THIS IS A SCAM.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Most scams originate from Nigeria and people there cannot even own a paypal account.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.