Heads up on a scam

cmlee1331
Contributor
Contributor

I was selling an iPad received a message via Whatsapp saying they would give me the asking price and £12 for postage and would pay via Paypal. All they asked for was an invoice. I agreed (but I believe it’s a scam) I checked online to see if anything popped up on other scam message boards nothing. So I thought I’d see how far this scammer would go so I could share my experience. I sent over the invoice he then said he’d sent payment via Paypal and to keep checking my email/spam folder. Neither money was credited or the email that he kept suggesting would arrive. A few hours late I was messaged again to see if email had arrived, I explained no funds had been credited or emails. He then messaged me this. “all you have to do after postage is to reply directly to the payment confirmation notice paypal send to you as at the time i deposited funds to your account,you will need to include the proof of postage,sometime like the shipment tracking number or postage receipt and once paypal receive the proof of the postage from you,they will immediately release the funds to your account and complete the transaction ,then you will be able to withdraw the money from your paypal account to your account. Thanks” Just so people are aware for the future I would hate to think some hard working person is scammed by these vile creatures. His email begins <removed>

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cmlee1331

Can you remove that email address as scammers use innocent hijacked email accounts to scam folks and that user may be trying to recover their email account.

This scam has been ongoing for at least 15 years and is all over this forum and the internet. Glad you were not caught out.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

cmlee1331
Contributor
Contributor
I was previously targeted luckily i did an internet search with the Emil address and an found it was a scam. When I’ve ran this email nothing has come up about it that’s why I’ve put the email address so people can be vigilant.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.