Car for sale & interested buyer scam

Doreen1
New Community Member
I have a car for sale. Right after posting it, I got a text from someone who said they were texting from someone else who could only email & was posing as a US Coast Guard who would be purchasing it for his brother and would be sending a courier to pick it up. I almost fell for it. Just before I sent the detailed response message back with all the information on the car and pictures I decided to Google "car scam thru PayPal" I got directed to the PayPal Community where I realized this WAS a scammer. I'm going to try to attach the message he sent by email. PS I just erased my entire message to him and change it to "nice try scammer, I'll forward your email to PayPal and Karma God Is Watching You"
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Doreen1

Well firstly glad you were not scammed.

Secondly DO NOT accept paypal for a motor vehicle as you will have no seller protection.

Next DO NOT bother to report to paypal, as none of the transaction would have been done via paypals site then there is nothing they can do about it.

Also we don't need the email as this has been ongoing for years and is all over the internet and this forum.

Lastly remember these 3 things >>

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Lastly can you not post duplicate ''thread'' on this forum as its unfair on others waiting their turn.

Cheers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.