A different take on the selling a car on Craigslist

Cornerstone86
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have a person that wants to buy a truck from me on Craigslist.  He wants to pay with PayPal but the situation doesn't have the red flags that I usually see.  I was just hoping to learn how exposed I may be.  First of all, he gave me his number and I called him and we discussed the vehicle in person.  He is definitely local, no accents or broken english, and he explains he is a car guy at the local wrecking yard, so his friend trusts his opinion and he is shoping for his friend.  I answer his questions and he seems satisfied.

When I tell him that another party is coming to look at it soon, the guy asks if he can pay with PayPal to lock in the sale, provided his friend gives him the go ahead to pull the trigger, wanting to use paypal for the advance payment so he is protected in case I were to sell to someone else after I got his money.   He would be coming to pick it up in person, not sending a third party, so no extra "delivery" charges and "western union" payments or any of the usual scam tactics. 

I know PayPal doesn't have buyer protection against automobiles, but can he still use a credit card through PayPal and run a chargeback?  He was going to pay cash until I said someone is coming to look at it.  I've been stood up enough times on Craigslist buyers that I don't want to discourage a sale if the other person winds up not showing.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cornerstone86

There is no SELLER protection with motor vehicles either so yes your buyer can do a chargeback and you would not be protected.

Cash on collection only.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.