Son spent $60 on a vendor, PayPal refuses to act

Planet
New Community Member
I don't have many details but from what I know, he has sent $60 through Friends and Family to an account named USA SMURFS and it is a website that sells game accounts. I have bought from this seller in the past but my son got in contact and bought something through Skype. He claims he didn't even receive the item and considering it was unauthorized in the first place, I should be able to file a dispute, right? Also, I can't have my bank linked with my PayPal do anything as I had near $60 in PayPal credits and only PayPal is in a position to refund the payment. I have already filed but they said it was not a case of unauthorized account access (due to my son using the same IP as me I'd assume) and that they couldn't help me. Looking for advice
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Planet

Hi, “gift” or “personal” payments are intended as transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.

On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged. So you can't open a dispute.

If your paypal account was not hijacked and used without your consent but used by your son without your consent then paypal consider that ''friendly unauthorised use'' which is your responsibility and not theirs.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

That $60 is in Paypal credit?

Then you are SOL,if it were a credit card,then you can file chargeback/

You need to keep an eye on your son.

Login to Me Too

GamingNFriends
Contributor
Contributor

You might want to try contacting the company where your son tried to purchase the account from, they might have some form of buyer protection. If you can prove that the account wasn't delivered as promised. From my knowledge most account selling sites should have some kind of protections for these types of problems.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.