Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

titophe
Contributor
Contributor

The link to use is https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_register-youth

If it doesn't work (with an error saying that the account already exists), ask customer support to enable it. It worked for me after I created a request with customer support.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor
Here's how:
  1. Log in to your own PayPal account.
  2. Click Products & Services at the top of the page.
  3. Click View All PayPal Products.
  4. Click Student Account.
  5. Click Open a Student Account.
  6. Follow the steps to create a Student account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

delevin1
New Community Member

The steps you listed are not actually available in PayPal. (There is NO "Products & Services" at the top of the page.  There is NO "Student Account" to click on.)

So the question remains:  How do I set up a student account?

Thanks for your help

@kernowlass wrote:
Here's how:
  1. Log in to your own PayPal account.
  2. Click Products & Services at the top of the page.
  3. Click View All PayPal Products.
  4. Click Student Account.
  5. Click Open a Student Account.
  6. Follow the steps to create a Student account.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi everyone,

These are some great questions!  If you have a Personal account, please use the information below to open a Student account:

• Student Initiated: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_request-register-youth
• Parent Initiated (new parent creating PayPal and student account): https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_minimal-signup
• Parent Initiated (logged in parent): https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/youth/InsideMicrosite

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

titophe
Contributor
Contributor

Adrian,

None of those work. You copy/pasted a response that no-one at PayPal has taken the time to check whether it's still valid or not.

The site is badly broken. Features come and go and people in support are not kept in the loop. As a good indication that the site is broken: for how many years are we going to see a link to "PayPal classic" on the home page? This has been here for years and serve no purpose. No-one is apparently taking care of updating the UI.

As for student accounts, they are no longer supported. existing ones work but you cannot create a new one. PayPal has other priorities, like making sure their site is re-written for the Nth time because every once in a while, someone comes up with a new idea they swear is the golden bullet. It breaks existing features even more and it guarantees that the site runs on 3 legs. 

PayPal used to be a product driven company (do what the customers ask), it's now an engineer driven company (do what the engineers enjoy doing). Guess who pays the price.

How do I know this? I used to be a PayPal employee.

Login to Me Too
Solved

titophe
Contributor
Contributor

The link to use is https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_register-youth

If it doesn't work (with an error saying that the account already exists), ask customer support to enable it. It worked for me after I created a request with customer support.

Login to Me Too

CSIII

After an hour searching Google and trying everything (including the Student Account home page)...and searching the Paypal website and my Paypal account (both new and classic view), I finally got it done -----Thanks to YOU, titophe !!Smiley LOL

The link worked perfectly and my son's new student account now is listed on the Summary page of my account. He immediately received his welcome email. I am still waiting on Paypal customer service's email response to this cannot open student account issue. I sent the email 12 hours ago (they claim it could take up to 24 hrs - fair enough).

Your link got the job done and helped greatly. Thank you very much.

PS I cannot help but think of the lost chances to get new Paypal customers through student accounts. Too many people will not go through this type of hastle searching for answers to setup a student account. It should be really obvious and easy to do from the Summary page.

Login to Me Too

louisachrist
New Community Member

titophe, thank you so much!  it did work!

Login to Me Too

Athenal58
New Community Member

Thanks titophe . Worked in an instant . . I was looking for this for about 2 hours . . . Thank You . . . Thank You . . . Thank You

Login to Me Too

jkropp
New Community Member

Thank you for the info, a shame it cannot be correct on the official website? crazy stuff, your info worked flawlessly after a couple hours and trying on 3 different PCs thinking XP vs &, or wrong version of Internet Explorere, etc. so Simple that Pay Pal should Correct on their website, thanks again. from a now unfrustrated dad!!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.