Removing linked bank account

lizdelaney3
New Community Member

I am trying to remove my linked Ally checking account from my PayPal account, and it says "Sorry, we are not able to process your request. Please try again later."

I have a PayPal debit card, not sure if it is required to have a linked bank account or not. Any suggestions? It has said this several times since October, I just never cared enough until now to actually remove it.

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

PayPal_Dustin
Hi lizdelaney3,

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum. 🙂

Sorry to hear about the trouble removing the bank account. The bank account can't be removed when there are pending bank transactions. If the bank account is the backup funding source for your PayPal Business Debit MasterCard it will be used every time the card is used if there aren't any funds in the PayPal account balance. You'll need to change the backup funding source for the debit card and allow the pending bank transactions to clear before you'll be able to remove the bank account succesfully. I hope this helps. 🙂

- Dustin

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

AshleyShell
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Dustin,

I'm having the same problem, getting the same error message when trying to delete old debit card.  I have already successfully linked a new debit card and a new bank account and have made the new card my preferred payment method.  

The card I am trying to delete is an old card which I cut up after my bank replaced it several months ago, so there's no way there are any pending payments.

Login to Me Too

thanatid
New Community Member

I'm getting the same error. I'm absolutely certain there are no pending transactions since I closed this account over a year ago. I've had the same issue with removing credit cards that were years expired in the past.

Login to Me Too

btemple8
Contributor
Contributor

you ever resolve this?

Login to Me Too

lonestargrl65
Contributor
Contributor

I have been trying for months to remove a linked bank account and an old debit card and I always get an error.  I have another bank account linked & set as primary and I have another card linked & set as primary.  I do not want to call somebody, I want the website to work as designed and as expected.  This is completely ridiculous and looking at the dates on this from other users its been going on for at least 2 years!  I used to LOVE Paypal, but I am really beginning to hate it!!

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

if there are past activities in those accounts,it is not easy to remove them

Login to Me Too

dbeima
New Community Member

FYI, I tried all of this. There are no pending transactioins. I've done this three times. I added other accounts, made them the primary account but you continue to draw from the wrong account and you just caused my account to be overdrawn. If this doesn't change immediately I'm going to be forced to cancel my account and just switch to Venmo for everything. It shouldn't be this hard.

Login to Me Too

btemple8
Contributor
Contributor

same problem here.  I have another bank account and an old closed one absolutely no transactions or charges pending.  How many bank accounts are needed to be kept?   Odd.   the bank account is closed.  I don't have any debit card attached and never have.  again odd.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Ensure the bank accounts are not used as backup for other funding sources or billing agreements as well.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.