How to entirely disable PayPal using my bank account as a source without removing it?

Trophonix
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Recently I very nearly got caught with over a hundred dollars in overdraft fees because PayPal decided to pay for a couple of subscriptions with my bank account rather than my credit card. Is there any way I can set it so that it will NEVER use the bank account, EVER for ANYTHING? I need the bank account connected to my account so I can transfer money TO it in a timely manner from my PayPal balance, but it is absolutely unacceptable to have charges going to this account. What can I do?  Thanks.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you can set your credit card as your preferred payment method. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Even though you can set a default payment account, I believe that PayPal has the authority to select a non-preferred account when the risk for the preferred account is too high.  This means that PayPal could still go the the checking account when that account has the lowest risk for PayPal.

The better solution is to manage finances to cancel subsciptions and keep reserve funds for emergencies.

Login to Me Too

SirGolfer
New Community Member

So this is why PayPal used my checking account, and overdrew it, instead of my preferred account, my credit card?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You can also stop using Paypal and give the seller your credit card number.

Login to Me Too

SirGolfer
New Community Member

Which defeats the purpose of using PayPal in the first place.

Login to Me Too

Trophonix
Contributor
Contributor

sumiko:

Well, I figured out how to set it as my primary method. Hopefully, that will help.

DPCreations:

Hm... That's... annoying. I can't just cancel the subscriptions I'm referring to, unfortunately.

sumiko (2nd post):

I am using Paypal so I can use my Paypal balance and then have the credit card as a backup. I guess I could give my credit card directly and just constantly be moving my Paypal balance to my bank account and then using it to pay off the credit card (ugh), but it would be much nicer to be able to just uncheck a checkbox to tell Paypal to never use the account. I can't fathom why that is not a thing. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.