Transfer money to a friend's bank account

mewtwo_carpatia
Contributor
Contributor

3 days ago I made my first transfer from my PayPal account to a U.S. bank account. The thing is the bank account belongs to a friend. I wonder if this can be a problem when you receive the money or not.

Currently the operation appears as completed in PayPal and I had no problem associating the bank account to my PayPal account.

Thank you very much.

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Unfortunately you cannot directly transfer funds to someone else's bank account.  Nor can you link someone else's bank account to your PayPal Account.  What you can do is send the money to their PayPal Account, they then have the option to do the transfer or withdraw to their own bank account.

Login to Me Too

mewtwo_carpatia
Contributor
Contributor

I understand but, like I said, the transaction appears as "complete" and I currently have this bank account associated with my PayPal account. If it was as you said, shouldn't have given error or something?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

One would think so but, I'm thinking the transfer will fail.

Just curious, were you able to successfully link and confirm the bank account?   Did you get the normal 2 small deposits in your bank statement, then using that info, enter them back to confirm the account?   If you did and the system didn't complain, then the account would be linked.   Which would be quite unusual as all names for bank accounts and/or credit cards must match the owner's name of the PayPal Account.

Login to Me Too

mewtwo_carpatia
Contributor
Contributor

I have confirm my PayPal Account with my credit card. 

This bank account (the only one I have registered) figures as the main bank account but I did not follow the steps you describe

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You can add a credit card to your account however, just doing that does not verifiy an account.

These are the proper steps to link and confirm a bank account:  When you have successfully completed this process, it verifies your account and lifts your limits.

From the FAQs:

After you’ve linked a bank account to your PayPal account, here’s how to confirm it:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Profile near the top of the page.
  3. Click My money.
  4. Click Update beside Credit and debits cards.
  5. Click Confirm.

There are 2 ways to confirm your bank account.
Option 1: Confirm instantly

If you do online banking, you can usually confirm your account in a few minutes.
Option 2: Confirm in 2-3 days

If you don’t bank online or don’t wish to enter your online banking details, there’s another way to confirm your bank account. Here’s how it works:

We’ll deposit 2 small amounts (less than $1.00 USD each) into your bank account. They’ll show up on your bank statement 2-3 business days later. Note the 2 exact amounts and then:

1. Click Profile near the top of the page.
  2. Click My money.
  3. Click Update beside Credit and debit cards.
  4. Click Confirm.
  5. Enter the two amounts in the boxes provided.
  6. Click Submit.

We've recently created "how-to" videos for some of our or most common PayPal questions. Now you can watch these videos here: https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/News-Announcements/New-PayPal-How-To-Videos/td-p/529328.

Login to Me Too

mewtwo_carpatia
Contributor
Contributor

In my country, Argentina,  you can verify your account only with your credit card.

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Yes but, as you posted on the US Forum, unless you state otherwise, we assume you have a US Account..   Not all countries have the same PayPal features and functions.  Some countries have more features while others can only send funds.  For example, US, UK and CA Accounts cannot transfer or withdraw funds to credit cards.  They can only withdraw to bank accounts or request paper checks.   Some countries can only add a US Bank Account and some countries are permitted to withdraw to credit card.   As you can see, if we don't have the details of your question up front, you may or may not get the right response.

Login to Me Too

mewtwo_carpatia
Contributor
Contributor

I posted here because the bank account is in US. Also post in the Latin America community but nobody answers yet.

Login to Me Too

Renn10
@snowshoe Great response you were very helpful thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.