Scam buyer

ismellfish2
New Community Member

Hi! I recently sold a DJI drone and am suspicious of the buyer.

Buyer ID: marsstathe0, 0 feedback

After listing the drone twice through an auction and getting two nonpaying buyers, I posted it as a fixed price auction, immediate payment required. It sold, payment posted to my paypal account and is in the process of being transferred to my bank account.

I got the following message from my buyer:

Hello!

I've recently bought DJI Phantom 3 from you and i am very happy about it. I am writing you to inform that i am moving to my cousin's house, since he had injured in crash and i have to take care of him for several weeks and that's why i need to change shipping address. sorry for bothering and thank you in advance!
Here is shipping address where you have to send the item:

Nika **removed**
**removed**
City: BROOKLYN NY
ZIP: 11229

That address appears to be a sandwich shop in a commercial district. The name is different, and the buyer's PayPal verified address is in WA. I refused to ship to the new address, and the buyer responded to say I could go ahead and ship to the original address.

The messages at the bottom in the email contain an autogenerated section, "Get to know the buyer", and it states there their location is zugdidi, khashuri, Georgia. Those are locations in the country Georgia. Their ebay profile contains a stock image of a pretty woman and says "God bless America". They've been a user for less than 2 weeks.

Anyway, I don't get how the scam works if I have cash in hand and can mail to the address verified... if the fraudulent buyer is in Georgia, how do they benefit? But it seems too sketchy to be legit.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

You may want to just cancel the transaction and refund the money !   It's the most logical solution.   Sell your item locally for cash.

Login to Me Too

whonou12
New Community Member
i got scammed also for a 238$item!
Login to Me Too

imora229
New Community Member

Had the same message come through. 

Hello!
I've recently bought ***********,from you and i am very happy about it. I am writing you to inform that i am moving to my cousin's house, since he had injured in crash and i have to take care of him for several weeks and that's why i need to change shipping address. sorry for bothering and thank you in advance!
Here is shipping address where you have to send the item:

Nika *********
<removed>
MIX0000426
City:BROOKLYN NY
Zip: 11223  

Login to Me Too

Portergirl27
Contributor
Contributor

Hi my name is Melissa <removed> I purchased this drone on the 28th of March and then I received this message from you saying I'm a scammer! I'm not sure who this person is or how they are doing this but that was not me that sent you that message! I live in elma wa and my cousins are fine! This just really makes me sad I was very excited to get this for my bf/ fiance and this happens!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.