Receiving payments

Blessedyes01
New Community Member
So I have a bed for sale and someone would like to purchase from another state....they asked for me to have a pay pal account and that they would pay shipping and handling....how would I know if this is a scam?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Andy

Hi Blessedyes01 -

Welcome to the Forums, I'm happy that you've reached out to us here for this issue!

Generally a buyer would pay shipping and handling, so that's not completely unheard of. The two biggest things you'll want to watch out for here are that you're actually purchasing the shipping. They may be paying for it, but you have to make sure you're buying it. Otherwise, if they purchase the shipping label, they could potentially have the item sent somewhere else, causing you to lose any dispute that's filed against you.

The other thing is verifying that the emails you're receiving from PayPal are real. One aspect of a scam of this sort is that they'll send you emails from "PayPal" saying you've been paid, and asking that you send the item. So you'll want to make sure you're logging into your actual PayPal account to verify that you have money in your balance - even if it's being temporarily held. Otherwise you could be sending your item out without being paid for it.

I hope this helps you better understand some of the potential risks you could be running into here. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach back out!

- Andy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.