Rec'd strange text on my phone

bokki
Contributor
Contributor

This morning I rec'd a text msg saying: Hi, it's PayPal. We declined a 7.95 EUR payment. To confirm it's you, Text 1 and retry. Not you? Text 2. Msg & data rates apply.

Does anyone know anything about this .. think it's some kind of a scam .. I mean EUR payment? I'm in America.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @bokki,

I'm sorry to hear that you received a text message regarding a payment that you do not recognize. There is a possibility that this is legitimate if you or someone else used your mobile number on a PayPal account, but it is also possible that this was from a spoofer who is testing to see if your phone number is valid before sending a more direct phishing attempt. It's always good to be cautious!

If you receive any links in a text message that you are not expecting, please do not click them. You can always open a new browser window and visit paypal.com by typing in the address, and check your account activity to see if there's anything that you did not authorize. 

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

bokki
Contributor
Contributor

Thanx for the info Olivia .. I only read it .. did nothing more! I owed them nothing, I have not ordered anything else with paypal .. I wanted to originally pay with my credit card, but that was not an option .. even after I tried entering my info.  I will try very hard not to use a site the works with paypal .. I've learned my lesson.

Thank you again .. bless you!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.