Fraud Alert for Sellers

hdupuis
New Community Member

I am selling my Harley on Autotrader, and I was contacted be two separate individuals who made ever effort to inquire about my product, even asking for additional photos and the service records. When it came time to make the purchase, one of these fraudsters used "PayPal" to send the funds which were "held" by "PayPal" until i sent $1,500.00 to a Mediteranean Shipping Company in Texas. Clearly this was a scam.

Be cautious, as the email body that they send to you is identical to PayPal actual email, however their address is so close that you really have to be thorough. The emails that are genuinely from PayPal are one letter off of what the fraudsters are using . In  they change the "i" to an "l" that at first glance appears to be the same email address.

Another tip is that the fake emails will usually end up in your junk folder.

Be careful, and I would suggest that you never send any funds without guaranteed payments being recieved in your account and confirmed.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Ashley

Hi @hdupuis,

Nice catch! PayPal will never ask you to send funds outside of our system to another individual for shipping purposes. And as you mentioned, customers should always check their PayPal balance before sending any products out.

Thanks for sharing this!

-Ashley

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.