Do not use Paypal to purchase USPS shipping labels

dnercesian
Contributor
Contributor

I printed a label to complete a shipment. Everything went fine. I took the package to USPS and they entered it into their system with no problem. 2 days later it is sitting on my doorstep. I called USPS and they said they needed additional paperwork even though they cleared it at the post office. When I asked about the paperwork they needed, they were not really even sure what the paperwork was or how to obtain it. 

Long story short, I ended up shipping it through UPS who delivered without any issues. However, Paypal will not refund my shipping label for USPS because USPS said that they will not authorize a refund once a package has been scanned. This is fraud. Paypal is unwilling to chargeback USPS and refund me, and USPS says that it was purchased through paypal so I have to deal with paypal. 

Lesson here is NEVER to purchase shipping through paypal. They will not protect you. Now off to post this on 4Chan. 

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

thats the way it works,once it is scanned,consider the shipping label used.

what you should have done is to find out what is wrong with your label and goback to the postoffice and give them what they want,if extra postage,then add more,this is how you can use the label which you paid .

is it overseas over a certain weight,then you need the customs form,which is 4 parts,one you retain,the rest goes to post office,customs etc.  

It has nothing to do with Paypal,it is between you and USPS 

Login to Me Too

dnercesian
Contributor
Contributor

By that logic, when a seller fails to provide a product or service, then paypal has no obligation to protect the buyer since the recourse according to you is solely between the buyer and seller, but that is not how it works, is it? In this case, further conversation with supervisors at paypal have revealed that they do not have the same ability to chargegack in order to protect the buyer simply because USPS is a government agency. To me, such an arrangement is unacceptable. 

Further, Paypal offers USPS shipping through their interface. It is a product that they have taken deliberate steps to integrate and sell through paypal. That being said, paypal does carry with it in intrinsic responsibility beyond that of just a payment processing company. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

as far as USPS is concerned,they made an attempt to process your order,but you did not provide sufficient information for them to take it further ,so they return to you so you can provide more information,without knowing more about your package,I cannot say what is missing.

the right thing to do is to find out what is missing or incorrect,correct or add what they want and ship again.

It happens to me once,a parcel going to an Eastern European country with 16 dollars worth of postage cameback to me,it turns out it weighs more than stated,so I add more postage  and reship,else I would lose that $16 dollar.

is it an overseas package?

does it require that 4 part customs declaration form,is the address legible?

is the postage and weight correct?

did you state the content?

Login to Me Too

dnercesian
Contributor
Contributor

1. My label filled out on paypal without any warnings or requests for additional paperwork in order to ship. 

2. When at the post office, all info was entered into their computer and the item was clear to ship. I paid an additional $61 for higher insurance as well. 

3. When I received the package back, the paperwork that was indicated missing was very vague and something that I had never heard of. When I took it back to the post office, everyone, including the supervisor had no idea what the paperwork was or where it could be obtained. He did say, however, that if something is submitted to ship and has insiufficient documentation, that their system will flag it at the time of submission prior to shipping, and admitted that in this situation their system failed to notify them of any insufficiency. 

4. USPS customer service over the phone also had no idea what this documentation was.

5. There is a money back guarantee on the shipping as a matter of policy from USPS and notated by Paypal at the time Paypal sells you the service. 

6. Yes, this was an international shipment. Ultimately I sent it through UPS instead. The additional paperwork that USPS had no clue about was actually something that UPS handled for me automatically simply by me checking a box as a part of their shipping procedure because their system did not fail to indicate everything that was needed to complete the shipment. Easy peasy no hassle. Shipment arrived at it's destination 3 days later.

7. USPS was not prepared to send this package and did not know the details of what it would entail, even though they offered the service, charged me for the service, and then denied me the service without any detailed explanation as to how the situation could be remedied. Then USPS refunded my insurance money because I paid that at the post office, but told me that the shipping had to be refunded through paypal because I purchased the label through them. 

8. Paypal offers the service and has it integrated into their system. They sold me a service that obviously could not be fulfilled. I agree that USPS shares the responsibility, but the operative word there is "shares". If you are going to pimp a service out to your customers, then you must take responsibility. 

I am a photographer, and because I am on the expensive side, I do turn down a lot of work. I also teach workshops and know a lot of other photographers who do a great job and charge considerably less than I do. I had the thought one time to offer a less expensive session through associate photographers rather than turning down the jobs outright. This ended up not working out and I no longer do it. Even though the client knows they are not getting me but instead getting an associate who is my student, and even though I was acting as more of a middle man between the two, and even though I flat out told them that it would not be the same quality of image as if I had done what I do, the client still had expectations based on my personal work, and I had to be responsible. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The way to get your postage back is to void the label,when USPS finds out it is not used,it will refund you ,but if USPS said it has been scanned ,then it is logged into their system,you should have found out what is missing,correct the label or give them what they need and ship it again.

you can try contacting USPS online and tell them no one knows what is wrong so you went UPS and should ge the postage money back,or call 1-800 -usps customer service /domestic and see if they would refund you.   

Login to Me Too

dnercesian
Contributor
Contributor

1. Shipping label was voided. 

2. Paypal requested a refund from USPS which was declined because USPS claims they won't refund for a label if it has been scanned in. Mind you, however, that this is not their stated policy as they offer a money back guarantee on the shipment. Also keep in mind that this is not how they treat customers who purchase directly at the Post Office or at the USPS website. This ill behavior scam is reserved for paypal customers only. Paypal claims that the only reason they can't force a chargeback is because it is a government agency. WTF?

3. Paypal is aware of every aspect of this situation. Today I ultimately got both a Paypal supervisor and a USPS supervisor on the phone at the same time. You know how difficult this is to do? The three of us were on the phone for approximately 25 minutes. Guess how that went. Paypal blamed USPS and told them they need to refund the money. USPS blamed Paypal and said that they could not issue a refund because the service was purchased through paypal. There have been more intelligent exchanges at the special olympics than what I witnessed. In the end, nothing was resolved and I am still out over $100 for a USPS service sold to me by Paypal with a money back guarantee that nobody seems to want to be accountable for.

How sad...

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Where is this money back guarantee on postage?  Have a link?  Want to read up on it.  Thanks.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

when did you void the label?

if the label is voided before you take it to the post office and scanned,then USPS will refund your money,once scanned,it means it is on its way to the recipient,so it cannot be voided.

what kind of shipment,how guaranteed and what does tracking show so far?and where is it going?and why do they return your shipment,what is stamped on the package?

may be you can file a claim online,tell us more 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

is there a reason stamped on your package why it is not accepted,what does it say?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.