Are travel expenses covered by Buyer Protection if I picked up the item in person?

ryansnider
Contributor
Contributor

Normally, shipping fees are refunded if PayPal rules a dispute in the buyer's favor; However, if I travel out of state to purchase an item and pay with PayPal and it turns out to be defective, are my travel expenses covered under PayPal's buyer protection?

In other words, are travel expenses incurred when picking an item up in person treated like "shipping expenses" since I'm using my money to collect the item?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ryansnider

No, and also buyer protection does not cover items personally deliverered or collected.

Suggest you actually read up on buyer protection so you can risk assess your transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ryansnider
Contributor
Contributor

The item was listed for sale on an online forum. I contacted the seller and made arrangements to pick it up and paid with paypal. Since it was listed for sale on the internet, is it covered by buyer protection? Or does none of that matter if it is picked up in person?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal offers buyer protetcion for item not as described,item not received and unauthorised transaction,not eating,drinking,gas,plane fare etc to pick up the item.

If you make payment using paypal and it is not as described,you can file item not as described,you have to return the item on your dime.

then to prove you have returned the item,you must upload online viewable tracking showing it has been delivered to his address.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ryansnider

Buyer protection does not cover items that are collected or personally delivered so no you are not covered .

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ryansnider
Contributor
Contributor

I have PayPal set up to charge to my credit card; if I'm not covered by Paypal buyer protection, would I be better off disputing the transaction with my credit card company and not bother with a PayPal claim? It is an open claim right now with PayPal but I haven't escalated it to a dispute. Should I cancel the claim or should I leave it open while dealing with the credit card company?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.