$3500 Chanel Bag kept by buyer after charge back received

GeorgeKB
New Community Member

I sold an authentic Chanel bag to a buyer for $3500.  She did not want to pay customs fees to from the US to Australia ($600 approximately).  She asked me to mark the package as 'gift' to avoid the fees.  Ebay would not let me do this during the shipping process.  The buyer has been trying to: 1st) not accept the package, 2nd) received it and wanted to return it saying it was 'not as described' because it did not have the Authentication Card from Chanel.  My listing stated that, and also stated that a professional Certificate of Authentication would be included, which it was.  Ebay did not rule in her favor.  She then went to her financial institiution who issued a charge-back to my Paypal account.  I responded with all my information, yet it was ruled in her favor.  Now she has the Chanel bag, and the $3500.  What can I do to get this bag back??  Paypal is not very helpful, saying that they can (and did) send her a courtesy email requesting she return it.  I am not very optimistic.  What do you all think? Thank you for your advice.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Was the transaction covered by Seller Protection?
Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

There  is no seller protection for item, not as described.

You are a fool to sell a designer handbag for 3500 on Ebay.

if they lose Ebay dispute,they go to Paypal,if they lose Paypal dispute ,they go to their credit card issuer.

there is a way to appeal ,if you own the merchant account to accept credit card,but you do not,Paypal does.

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
In my experience, as long as you shipped to the address that matches the billing address on the credit card, the card issuer will indeed give the buyer their money back, but would typically require that they show proof of returned merchandise. Did you get any info about the "investigation" that the card issuer is doing related to the chargeback?
Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@angelleye wrote:
In my experience, as long as you shipped to the address that matches the billing address on the credit card, the card issuer will indeed give the buyer their money back, but would typically require that they show proof of returned merchandise. Did you get any info about the "investigation" that the card issuer is doing related to the chargeback?

not if seller has a no return policy or refuse accept the item when returned or keep insisting nothing is wrong .no return means you dont want it back anymore,so buyer keeps the item.

with this case,the buyer is in Australia,we dont know what is her cc issuer policy .

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

if she has her own merchant account instead of using Paypal,her account provider will relay what the other party said to her ccissuer and appeal if she loses.

or at least make an effort and ask for the return of the handbag.

In some cases,the seller can go to MC/Visa to fight the outcome. but it would cost her.

but inher case,Paypal owns the merchant account,it does not tell OP what the other side said

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Advertising a bag for $3,500 on eBay is an invitation for a scammer.  The buyer had was a lot more experienced, savvy, and knowledgable about PayPal and eBay policies than the seller.  My guess is the loss is much less then you are explaining and that you paid a whole lot less than $3,500 for the bag hoping for making a huge profit.

With customer disputes it is important to resolve them immediately rather than have the buyer go through eBay, PayPal, or credit card.  At each stage of dispute escalation the potential loss for the seller increases.  Cut you loss early when there is little change of success as with this case where you were really in a non-win situation.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.