Scammed through Paypal

QueenS33
Contributor
Contributor

I was recently connected from a guy about a Sofa I had for sell and he wanted to pay me through Paypal since Pay apl suppose to be safe way to do transaction dealing with money I was ok with it. I received a email from Paypal stating the transaction and that Jeff Rogers was an verified buyer so I did my homework and everything seems to check out. I even checked to see if it was a fake email but the link on the email took me straight to Paypal and if it was a fake one it said it wouldn't do that. So through emails with Paypal I was told to send the movers fee so once I done that I recevied another email from Paypal about the transaction being complete I should of known it was to good to be true si in another email to me from Paypal stated that the Movers asked for Insurance fee and inorder to get the funds released to my account I had to send the money I emailed Payapl stating my stituation and I didn;t have the money i received a email back stating that they understood but I would still need to send the money. I told them that I was not going to send no more money and I would like end this transaction and get a refund of my  money. I have called Paypal I have emailed them severl times and I also have reported this to the online crime investigation because its not fair no me or to anyone else I'm wrong for sending the money I hate it now but  I still wanna know what happened I sent the emails to Paypal fake email address and you would think that they have responed by now unless they had ahand init to but I ahve keep on until I have some answer. I am so confused by the whole situation but I feel that Pay pal should respone to me intend of giving me the run arounds and everytime I submitt a claim or something online I get a email to do something else.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

This is a typical scam when people spoof the PayPal email address.  It's an important learning experience.

PayPal will protect sellers as long as seller follow all of PayPal seller protection policies.  PayPal doesn't protect against poor judegement by sellers.

It's so important to verifiy all possible transactions on yur PayPal summary page. 

Sellers never pay mover's fees.

There were so many read flags.

Another trigger for a scam is to advertise an item for pickup.  PayPal does not protect sellers for pickups.   The only safe paymetn for pickups is CASH.

Login to Me Too

QueenS33
Contributor
Contributor

I understand that but my thing is I've been reaching out to Paypal throught the whole process but they will not even comform if the emails where fake or not I know my part I should have known better but things happen but for them not even wanna find out what happen got me confused and these are some very well but together emails if they are fake and on email there is a Paypal link that will take you stright to the Paypal website and with a fake email you are not suppose to be able to do that  so thats what had me confused they was not asking for no account info or nothing so now I am like do I trust any emails coming from Paypal and someone can come along and do this how safe is Paypal and even when I sent the emails I have called them and can't get no answers I've lost I know that but I still want answers from Paypal not only for me but for the next person because if a person can make a fake email page with Paypal links that need to go back to the drawing broad because its only the begining and I honestly beleieve they know whats going on who anint going to jump to find out if someone out here using Paypal emails to scam thats bad on the company. I am not even mad we live to learn but I want answers and how they paln to make changes so that this will not happen. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You can often verify the tru source of the email if your look at the detailed header information about the email. You need to learn how to do that with your email program.

Also, if in doubt, don't do anythkng without positive verification for authenticity.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.