Scammed. What's the possible outcome of this?

CasualUser
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone.

My son got hold of my paypal account last night without me knowing, unfortunately with devastating results.

First things first, my son is a longtime player of these games called mmos, like wow or something i keep hearing him say.

Last night he proceeded buying in game currency from someone he found online. They communicated through skype and my son agreed to send that guy 374Euros(!). As you can imagine that scammer as soon as he reiceved the payment dissappeared in thin air without saying a word and my son didn't even receive a single thing of what he paid for.

What I cannot believe is that this scammer even has a Bussiness Veriefied account and still scums people.

I have opened a dispute as soon as my son told me about the fraud, and as you can imagine the scammer hasn't answered and probably never will. He talked to my son like he knew what he was doing. Meaning he must have scummed lots of people and the way he does it he is sure that no one will ever be able to get their money back.

I am pretty sure he already withdrew the amount in his bank account.

The payment was sent as "service". The funds were in the paypal account(weren't withdrawn) since I make transactions on ebay and not through one of my credit cards. This way it means that I can't call my bank to chargeback right?

I have opened a dispute as "Item not received" and not as "Unathorized use" which was wrong. Is a transaction like this considered an item? If not, what's the deal about "services"?

Should I change this to "Unauthorized use" and escalate it to paypal?

What are my chances in this?

That's some pretty hard earned money for family to be stolen like that.

I appreciate your help..

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Unfortunately PayPal's buyer protection does not cover services.  The scammer knows the policies and clearly took advantage of your son.  It's a hard lesson to learn.  You can try to open a dispute but, most likely PayPal won't do much as they have their policies for what's not covered is clearly outlined in the user agreement.  (You may want to change your PayPal Account password to prevent future issues.)

Login to Me Too

CasualUser
Contributor
Contributor

This is absolutely outrageous. I can't actually believe this is the kind of cheap protection paypal offers.

I don't really see what's not to get here. Someone stole money for gods sake. Shouldn't paypal contact him and confirm this? Isn't it prove enought that this scammer is guilty by not answering to paypal?

My account was charged for something not delivered. End of story. It's paypal funds so paypal has the obligation to sort this out.

I am getting really furious here.

Login to Me Too

CasualUser
Contributor
Contributor

After 1.5 months of "investigating" the case this is their answer, I had to log in to see it, no email or so from them.
"After careful consideration, we're unable to decide this claim in your favor at this time."

Really, after 1.5 months of crap lame **bleep** consideration they tell me they can't refund my stolen money.

Really, after sending them every proof. Including the scammers details, country, real name, conversations, fake ID all they do is give me this crap **bleep** answer.

I just now see that paypal in more than half of these disputes always favors the scammer. How else would they keep money flowing forth and back?

To hell with your paypal bull**bleep** service and security, all you secure is your selves. Congratulations to your useless no brain employees for favouring scammers. I now realise why I see so many paypal hate reviews. So blindly handling cases like this. Not protecting honest traders money.

Good job paypal, you really **bleep** more than I could ever think of.

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

"Should I change this to "Unauthorized use" and escalate it to paypal?"

Sure, why not ...... another posterjust about the same thing hapen to them last year.

Paypal was willing to refund that member for  the "unauthorized use" claim, BUT paypal wanted a police report listing that members son as the suspect/thief.

Needless to say that member didnot want to get ther son in trouble with the law so they never got the police report

Login to Me Too

CasualUser
Contributor
Contributor

What do you mean? I don't get it. They want a police report that states my son is a thief and scammed me, his mother?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.