Possible Scam - Question

QualityPlayer

So I sold this guy 1.2 million Diablo 3 Gold for $27.  Once I received the $27 I didn't think anything of it and just gave the guy his gold.  After I noticed that he payed for a "Physical" purchase or something (I don't know much about paypal) and it says print shipping label etc next to his payment.  I assume he is just going to open a dispute saying he never got his "physical item" when it's a virtual one.  After all of this I noticed that his real name on skype is different than the one on his paypal which leads me to assume he's  using a stolen paypal account. I assume I'm going to get the **bleep**ed and lose the money and the gold and he's going to get away with this... I guess I should pay attention more next time because had I of saw all of this before giving him the gold I would of just issued a refund and blocked him on skype.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

QualityPlayer

It seems like he's just a chinese gold farmer who's using stolen credentials to buy in-game gold

Login to Me Too

Lightspeeda
Contributor
Contributor

Bah, that sounds like a pain.

I'd recommend hanging onto the money until the 45 day period passes. If there are no chargebacks issued until that period passes, I'm pretty sure you'll be in the clear.

When making sales with virtual items, it sometimes helps if you ask the person you're selling to if you'd be willing to chat in person on the phone before making the transaction. Frauds will almost never want to talk to a person in real-life, as it makes it a tad too personal for them (plus you have their phone number!).

For MAJOR transactions with virtual items ($50-$100+), I generally ask that my buyers send me a scan or picture of their driver's license or similar ID (I allow them to block all the information aside from the name and address). That way, I can personally verify that they are in fact the holder of the PayPal account. If they make a chargeback claim and you present that evidence, they'd need to demonstrate that whoever stole their PayPal account ALSO stole their driver's license... hardly likely. 😉

Best wishes of success to you in this matter!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.