How to correctly sell an item 1,000 in value using PayPal.

Pr0xim0s
New Community Member

I am selling an Item thats little over 1,000.  The buyer is coming down form a different City/State to pick it up but want's to use PayPal.  

What is the correct way of making sure there is no retraction of payments/scams etc... I was looking into Invoice option on PayPal and Request money.

I saw Terms and Condition section under Invoice:  Will putting No Returns, All sales are final the way to go?

Is there anything specific that needs to be setup if it's a local pickup and there is no shipping/signing involved?  Is maybe getting a Physical Check more safe?

Any help would be appriciated.  

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pr0xim0s

DO NOT use paypal for an item that is to be collected.

There is NO paypal seller protection for collect items.

If the buyer files for non receipt of item he will get his money back if you don't provide a tracking number that proves delivery of the item to him.

CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY is the safest way to go.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jason2
Contributor
Contributor

I found out the hard way and lost money the **bleep** came and collected the item and then claimed he didn't receive it.He got his money back and I got a negative account of £750 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

As @kernowlass stated.

If you are selling from an online list, stick to shipping with PayPal or credit payment.

Local pickup for online sale:  CASH ONLY, no exceptions unless you are willing to give away the $1,000.

Local pickup from a stranger also has personal risks.

Local sales with credit card (PayPal Here) are OK, but NOT FOR ONLINE-Listed items.  Even, then there is no PayPal protection for delivery.

Important to understand risks with all payment services; the easiest to understand is cash!

Login to Me Too

Pr0xim0s
New Community Member

So what about a Check?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pr0xim0s

We advise on paypal.

If you want to accept another funding source that is up to you but i would wait until it has cleared before you allow the goods to be collected.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

A check can be invalid or have insufficient funds, especially if a buyer is looking for a free item.  The check could be fake.  A buyer can do a stop payment on a check even weeks after it has been deposited and the money will be taken back.

Checks of this amount are high risk.

If the buyer has funds in a checking account already, just as the buyer to bring cash and makie sure there are not fake $100 notes.  Buyer should have no problem bringing cash.

As I see it, the only reason a stranger would NOT use cash is to make sure the sale could be cancelled.

What is the problem with cash and a proper paper receipt?

Login to Me Too

pwsowner
Contributor
Contributor

Either cash, or a certified check or a money order. The latter 2 would be safer unless you have a way to verify the cash isn't fake.

Make a detailed receipt, 2 copies, both of you sign each and have a copy. If something does go wrong, you have something to go to court with. The receipt should have the item clearly described, even serial number if it exists, both names, amount, date deal was made and date paid, and how it was paid.

If the buyer refuses to pay with cash, certified check or money order, you're probably going to lose $1000.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.