Creating a strong Password

bowzerbird
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal doesn't have any help on how to create a strong password. Have found "some" advice here but not enough. Here's my questions:

1. What's the maximum amount of letter combos [#'s, symbols, caps etc.] I can use. Microsoft says 20 letters is very strong? [Microsoft: "Use the entire keyboard"]

2. Besides numbers, symbols, punctuation, can I also use spaces? Microsoft recommends them.

Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Ellen

Cat Embarassed

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi bowzerbird,

Welcome back to the community! 🙂  I like the new avatar.

It's always refreshing to see someone wanting to learn more about increasing their security and good password practices.

The maximum number of characters supported in a PayPal password is 20.  Spaces or other "unprintable" characters are not supported but that's a great suggestion. 🙂

Strong passwords are usually longer passwords that contain a good mix of upper case, lower case, numbers and special characters.  Passwords that do not contain any actual words are also much stronger.

More information on password security can be found here:

Hot Security Topics  click on the "The importance of the password" tab.

If you looking for other ways to add additional security to your PayPal and eBay accounts I recommend using the PayPal Security Key.  I wrote a tips post about it here:

PayPal Security Key

I hope this helps. 😄 Have a great weekend!

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi bowzerbird,

Welcome back to the community! 🙂  I like the new avatar.

It's always refreshing to see someone wanting to learn more about increasing their security and good password practices.

The maximum number of characters supported in a PayPal password is 20.  Spaces or other "unprintable" characters are not supported but that's a great suggestion. 🙂

Strong passwords are usually longer passwords that contain a good mix of upper case, lower case, numbers and special characters.  Passwords that do not contain any actual words are also much stronger.

More information on password security can be found here:

Hot Security Topics  click on the "The importance of the password" tab.

If you looking for other ways to add additional security to your PayPal and eBay accounts I recommend using the PayPal Security Key.  I wrote a tips post about it here:

PayPal Security Key

I hope this helps. 😄 Have a great weekend!

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

bowzerbird
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Frank,

Glad you like the avatar. It's from "Wreck the Halls" of the Angry Birds. The little Blue Birds are crying because the piggies stole their Christmas presents: BUT, they of course got them back! Did a screen cap and isolated just one of the birdies in Photoshop to create the avatar. Love those birdeeze!!

Got the idea of using "spaces" in creating PW's from Microsoft. Read an article that said if you use at least 12 characters, it would take a hacker much longer to decipher it. Thanks for your advice and I'll check out the links you gave me. I do very little Net activity that requires much security and when shopping use good ol' Paypal.

Thanks again,

Ellen

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.