Confused About Dispute/Correction

MistressWrite
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me. 

On July 23, I paid $123 for a few days at a hotel with the Paypal debit card. Less than 24 hours after paying the money, the hotel discovered it had a bedbug problem and we were asked to relocate. The charge for our room was still pending at the time but was canceled and the funds returned a few days later. We never returned to that hotel, for obvious reasons. 

Then, on August 4th, the charge was put through again and completed, which actually put my Paypal account into the negative. On August 5th, I fixed the negative balance and filed a dispute about the charge, since it had been canceled and since we didn't actually stay there for the time that we were charged for. 

Today is August 7th. I received an email from Paypal this morning saying that they'd received all the paperwork I faxed for the dispute. Just now I received a notice from them indicating that the $123 had been returned to my account (and it has been). In the transaction details, it's listed as a correction. 

There is nothing anywhere in my resolution center about this. I was under the impression that the dispute process would take a longer time than that, and I also thought that Paypal held the funds associated with a dispute so they wouldn't be available to the buyer or the seller. So what happened here? Was it a simple mistake that was just corrected quickly, or do I still have to go through the dispute process and risk having those funds yanked again if PayPal decides against me for some reason? I'm a little afraid to touch them until I know that they're there to stay. 

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.