Paypal Debit Card email correspondance

flowerchild123
Contributor
Contributor

This is a recent email correspondance that I thought would be helpful for many members of paypal - both old and new.  There are many questions answered by customer service staff, as well as new ones generated by myself in new conclusions drawn in relation to the answers I recieved.  I thought it would be doing a disservice to the community of Paypal users to NOT share this information, so that you can be better equipped with information that much SOONER in order to avoid unforseen problems with your busness concerning Paypal and its use. 

I have replaced my name and bank that I use with the word "Blank".

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply to my initial questions, as restated by customer service representative:

Dear Blank,

Thank you for contacting PayPal Debit Card. My name is Melissa, and I understand you have a questions regarding your PayPal Debit MasterCard®.  I have included the information you request below:

1) The PayPal Debit MasterCard® is available to withdraw funds from your PayPal account balance using any ATM that is part of the MasterCard/Cirrus/Maestro ATM network. I apologize as we do not have a complete list, just look for the Cirrus/Maestro logo on the ATM. To process the ATM withdraw successful, you will need to select, "Checking" and enter the pin number established with the card.

2) Yes, you are able to process transactions through a bank account using the PayPal Debit MasterCard® if your  purchase is above the amount available in your PayPal account balance. After reviewing your account, I noticed it is not currently set up to function this way. I have included the steps below:

Go to the PayPal website and log in to your account.
Click Withdraw near the top of the page or Withdraw Money along the
right hand side
Select Shop with a PayPal debit card.
Here you can click "Add Backup Now" to add a backup funding source

3) Yes, it is possible having the PayPal account without a bank account; it is not a requirement.

4) Yes, it is possible to have a PayPal Debit MasterCard® without linking a bank account.

Thank you again for your contact. I am glad I was able to help resolve your inquiry about functionality of the PayPal Debit MasterCard®. If you have more questions, visit our Help Center by clicking "Help" in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

Sincerely,
Melissa
PayPal Debit Card Team
PayPal, an eBay Company

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My response:

Okay thank you so much for the information.  I have added my bank account as a backup payment for my paypal debit card mastercard.  I was wondering - is this setting effective immediately?  Or is it still pending approval to be able to access?

And just to make sure - does this backup payment method apply to online purchases as well?

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Their response:

Dear Blank,

Thank you for contacting PayPal Debit MasterCard®. My name is Tabitha, and I understand you have a question regarding your backup funding source. I appreciate the time you took to contact us today, I can help you with this.

That is a great question. Your backup funding is set immediately. Anytime you use your PayPal Debit MasterCard it will always go to the PayPal balance first. Now that you have the backup funding set it should then go to that source for any remaining funds. This applies for all transactions except ATM withdrawals which only pull from the PayPal balance.

There are times when the transaction denies because we have not built up enough of a relationship with your bank. In this case you will want to leave more funds available in your PayPal account. If you have any further questions please give us a call at 1-866-888-6080. 

Thank you again for contacting us today about your backup funding source. Have a great day and thanks for using PayPal!

Sincerely,
Tabitha
PayPal Debit Card Team
PayPal, an eBay Company

My response:

Oh okay.  Well, have you built up enough of a relationship with *Blank* Federal Credit Union?

Thanks.

Their response:

Dear Blank,

Thank you for contacting PayPal Debit Card. My name is Ashley, and I understand you have a question about the relationship with your bank and PayPal. That information is not provided to us, I can see that your account is in good standing. Sorry, I can't provide more information on your question, but Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with, Thank you so much for being part of PayPal, and hope you have an amazing day. 🙂

Thank you for being a valuable member of the PayPal community.

Sincerely,
Ashley
PayPal Debit Card Team
PayPal, an eBay Company

My response:

Okay, I would like to speak to someone who has that information that has the authority to access that information and communicate it to me, a Payapl customer.

Obviously someone in the company of Paypal knows what the standing with my bank is - and I think it is completely unprofessional and barbaric to leave me with the possibility that I'm going to be stuck without any other way to pay someone, and my only form of payment is a paypal account or debit card.  I deserve an answer to this question.

I think, furthermore, that is totally unbelievable that people have been commenting about this issue in your forums as well, and there has been next-to-no answer given.  The fact that you have told me that you know that sometimes a paypal card is not accepted or used by some banks, and that this information is not publicly shown on the application for a paypal debit card, and that there is no way to publicly check which banks have a partnership established with paypal, could be considered fraudulent.

I want to know - in advance before making any commitment to using a paypal debit card with my bank VERIFIED ALREADY as a backup payment method - that it is guaranteed one way or the other that it will work.

Thank you for your time.

I am awaiting a response. 

Hopefully my question will be answered.  If it is, I will post here about it. 

If I have misunderstood things here, I would love to hear about it from community feedback, which is I partly why I posted this.  Please don't lash out at me, it's not helpful for me and won't do any good.

Thanks everyone.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

victorjunkman55
Contributor
Contributor

I want to wish you the best of luck with this. after 8 weeks of emails, dozens and dozens of calls, I still can't use my mastercard debit card and have two banks listed. I must have talked to the entire shift at paypal and got nothing but a big phone bill and a red face. no customer support  at paypal, that went by the wayside when the jobs went overseas. oh, back to me, im going to try again to call paypal, new shift started.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.