where is the currency conversion option?

giantbill
Contributor
Contributor

I just payed for a merchantise, which is listed as $USD. I configured the payment by "AMAZON VISA CANADA".

I setup USD as primary currency and assume that paypal will charge USD against this credit card.

However paypal still charged me as CAD and do the currency conversion for me. I see lots in community that mentioned

there is currency conversion option you can use. But I can not find this "currency conversion option".

Can someone help?

What I want to do is: when I buy usd charged items, I need  paypal to charge USD against my "amazon visa canada"

credit card.

thank you.

GB

Login to Me Too
141 REPLIES 141

nikibarudov

**bleep**! Papyal! Could you fix this currency conversation options? Are you listening your users????!

PayPal, Why are You doing this.

To cheat YOUR users!!! The Company exist, because of the users. But now, You've decided to make some more money with Your PayPal conversion rate. WE DON"T WANT TO USE IT.

We want to use the card company conversion rates!!!

Login to Me Too

nikibarudov

And we want to use the card company conversion RATE for all out transactions - especially for the eBay payments!

Do not lie, that if I set the conversion rate type in the preaproved payments menu - this will fix the ebay payments. IT IS NOT TRUE.

Each time the default conversion rate is set TO PAYPAL CONVERSION RATE. WE WANT TO SET OTHER CONVERSION RATE FOR DEFAULT - FOR ALL PAYMENTS, FOR ALL TIME

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@nikibarudov wrote:

And we want to use the card company conversion RATE for all out transactions - especially for the eBay payments!

Do not lie, that if I set the conversion rate type in the preaproved payments menu - this will fix the ebay payments. IT IS NOT TRUE.

Each time the default conversion rate is set TO PAYPAL CONVERSION RATE. WE WANT TO SET OTHER CONVERSION RATE FOR DEFAULT - FOR ALL PAYMENTS, FOR ALL TIME

dont use Paypal or dont buy on eBay,or just wiretransfer funds to sellers.

Login to Me Too

ProfessorP
Contributor
Contributor

What Paypal is doing is committing fraud on a massive scale. I just placed an order at a Hungarian bookstore. Of course, despite my account being supposedly set up to charge my credit card in the original currency, the purchase was converted from Hungarian forints to U.S. dollars at a hefty surcharge. In the Paypal order confirmation email though it is stated:

"Currency conversion: To complete this transaction, we converted the payment amount to the currency of your card based on our agreement with you."

Only I never agreed to this. In fact, what I agreed to is the exact opposite, not to convert my purchases or be subjected to exchange rate fees.

Paypal is quite plainly stealing from its users. If the U.S. government wasn't run by bought cronies, Paypal executives would be thrown in jail for theft.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

This has been going on for some time and no fix,either Paypal is not going to fix it or still working on it,

what you can do is to stop using PAYPAL for website purchase,use your credit card direct

and for your Ebay purchases,ask if the seller would accept another form of payment,some have merchant account to accept credit card,some may have their own website to accept cash,wire transfer,ACH,postal order,money order,personal check.

Some like myself,I accept Swiss francs?

Fondue anyone? 

Login to Me Too

NGG-NZ
New Community Member

I see Paypal now ignores the following:

Currency Conversion Options

Convert with card issuer

If you chose this setting and click Next it ignores your choice and converts via Paypal so they cna get a second cut of fees.

Very very disappointed. I'm now asking suppliers to bill my card directly. They like that since they also avoid paypal charging them.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Now this is what the current user agreement say about how conversions work for purchases.  Read it to see if anything applies In terms of payment method used and the ability to select conversion options during checkout:

When you purchase goods from a merchant who accepts payment only in a specific currency that you do not hold in your PayPal balance, the currency conversion will occur at the time your transaction is processed and the exchange rate in effect at the time of the transaction will be used for this currency conversion.

If PayPal converts the currency, we will use an exchange rate set by our bank (adjusted from time to time based on market conditions) to perform the conversion, and you’ll be charged an additional 2.5% of the amount of the transaction as a currency conversion “spread.”

When your payment is funded by a debit or credit card and requires a currency conversion, you consent to and authorize PayPal to convert the currency in place of your debit or credit card issuer. You have the right to have your card issuer perform the currency conversion and can choose this option during checkout on your transaction review page before you complete the transaction. If your card issuer converts the currency, you’ll be charged a rate set by them (shown on your statement), and you’ll be subject to any fees and terms set by them related to the conversion.

PayPal will always perform the conversion for transactions where your PayPal balance or linked bank account is the payment method.

----

If it still don't work, then something wrong with function and should be reported to tech support:

https://www.paypal-techsupport.com/app/ask

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Badur77
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker wrote:

Now this is what the current user agreement say about how conversions work for purchases.  Read it to see if anything applies In terms of payment method used and the ability to select conversion options during checkout:

When you purchase goods from a merchant who accepts payment only in a specific currency that you do not hold in your PayPal balance, the currency conversion will occur at the time your transaction is processed and the exchange rate in effect at the time of the transaction will be used for this currency conversion.

If PayPal converts the currency, we will use an exchange rate set by our bank (adjusted from time to time based on market conditions) to perform the conversion, and you’ll be charged an additional 2.5% of the amount of the transaction as a currency conversion “spread.”

When your payment is funded by a debit or credit card and requires a currency conversion, you consent to and authorize PayPal to convert the currency in place of your debit or credit card issuer. You have the right to have your card issuer perform the currency conversion and can choose this option during checkout on your transaction review page before you complete the transaction. If your card issuer converts the currency, you’ll be charged a rate set by them (shown on your statement), and you’ll be subject to any fees and terms set by them related to the conversion.

PayPal will always perform the conversion for transactions where your PayPal balance or linked bank account is the payment method.

----

If it still don't work, then something wrong with function and should be reported to tech support:

https://www.paypal-techsupport.com/app/ask

Sharpiemarker, why are you quoting this useless text? It looks like you support this criminal fraud, by misinforming users. The conversion option has been switched off on purpose and it is not a technical issue. Stop misinforming people, you clueless ignorant.

Login to Me Too

Ukrainian
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, stop recommending this link. It is for IT guys from mechants' side. It has nothing to do with unwanted currency conversion. Here is a reply from "paypal-techsupport" on currency conversion issue (red highlight is mine).

"

Thank you for contacting PayPal Merchant Technical Services.
I apologize for any inconvenience.  PayPal Merchant Technical Services provides assistance with integrating PayPal as a payment solution on the merchant's web site.  Unfortunately, we don't have the account access available to research this particular issue for you, so you will need to contact PayPal Customer Service to resolve this issue.  The PayPal Customer Service team is specially trained to address all account inquiries.

Sincerely,
*name was here*
Technical Account Manager
PayPal

"

As far as i understand the issue, PayPal has lost (intetionally or not) the info on what were the currencies of our cards and defaulted all of them to our national currencies (in my case), doubling the profit from fees. Some people are getting replies that PP pretends to have no info Smiley LOL on what is the currency of the card: "Please keep it in mind when you add a credit card to your PayPal account, it is automatically registered as denominated in your local currency (UAH). This is our standard procedure as your card issuer does not inform us what the actual currency is.") as if all of the affected cards are registered just now. But this is happening to all cards, even registered a few years ago.

Login to Me Too

ss106
Contributor
Contributor

They answered and at my request resolved this issue, but they said nothing about my lost paying extra for their conversion, so, i requested them again to pay me back the extra amount paid, because was their "mistake", and they credited today my account.

So, the problem is that they not want to resolve the issue one time for all users, just the users that cry are resolved, others are still stolen...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.