a scam??

Jay19861
Contributor
Contributor

i've been corresponding with this guy for days about buying my phone, the day finally came for him to send payment and he claims he sent it, but it's not in my account. he said to check spam folder, that the payment is there. Makes no sense on why a payment would be in my email and not in my account, even if it were pending it would atleast show that on my account right? here's the email i got (supposedly) from PayPal.......

Subject: You've receive a payment, process your order.

Dear Jason <removed>,

You received a payment of $1064.00 USD from Gregory <removed>. Please process your order right away. This payment is now in your pending balance and temporarily unavailable. This money will be moved to your available balance and released to you in 12 - 48 Hours (as long as there are no problems with your orders).

Want to get your payment of $1064.00 USD faster?

Here are a few steps you can take:Ship your item quickly. Then send the receipt you get from the post office to us at: (Had to remove the paypal email) in other for us to mark it as shipped on the Transaction Details page. We would estimated your payment release date: Within 24 - 36 hours of the delivery date immediately.If you provide a UPS, FedEx, USPS Priority Mail Express tracking number, your estimated release date is within 6 - 12 hours.Have a product or service that doesn't need to be shipped (e-book, piano lessons, etc)? We would mark your order as processed and provide details. Estimated payment release date: Within 6 - 12 hours as soon as we veify the picture of the receipt your get from the post office proof.

For more information, log in to PayPal and click See how to get your money faster at the top of the page. You may also get the payment earlier if your buyer confirms that the item was shipped without any problems.

Payment Details:

Amount (pending): $1064.00 USD

Transaction ID: 864823749C569652Y 

Buyer's Email: <removed>

Ship to address:

Dennis <removed>
<removed>
Jacksonville, Fl 32206

Sincerely,
PayPal

This email was sent by an automated system, so if you reply, nobody will see it. To get in touch with us, log in to your account and click "Contact Us" at the bottom of any page.

Copyright © 2016 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at <removed> San Jose, CA 95131.

PayPal Email ID PP1344 - ecc242cb1f554

can someone please help, cause if he's legit than i gotta get this phone mailed out, otherwise i gotta relist it

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jay19861

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item internationally.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Suzcor
Contributor
Contributor
Same guy tried to scam me this morning. I got the same email saying he.paid for my computer but no notice of being paid on paypal, just the spam email. I refused to send it until I coukd see he haid paid. I hope nobody falls for this!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.