PayPal Authorization - How Long Does It Stay on My Account

Temp20220727ai
New Community Member

Hi,

I placed an order on a web store and encountered an error from the web store and my transaction did not complete.

But I noticed that the web store had placed an Authorization on my PayPal account.

I emailed and called the web store several times and they told me that they would remove this Authorization.  I have copies of all my email request that I have sent to the web store.

So my question is how long does it take before this Authorization drops off my PayPal automatically because it looks like the web store is not trying to remove it.

I see an Authorization transaction in my PayPal account and has a date of June 2. So I am assuming that it will drop off automatically soon??

Also, what can I do about this regarding to filing a compliant with PayPal or BBB? Suggestions?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20220727ai

When you pay a company (rather than an ebay seller or individual), then it is always pending until that company processes your order and captures the pending payment.

If they don't process that order and capture the pending payment then the pending status times out at 30 days post-payment.

But you can contact your funding source ie card or bank account and ask them to release the pending funds back to your account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

rayforever
New Community Member

Hello pp-guy,

I am running into the same exact issue. I am curious, did you ever resolve this? 

I am going through a nightmare loop with paypal and my merchant, both saying it is the other's fault. Please let me know how this situation folds out for you, it would really help me out.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

The authorization times out after in 30 days.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Para949
New Community Member

Just tossing this out there - I had a similar issue recently with Hotwire.  I ended up calling them, then conferenced them into a call with PayPal.  Hotwire was able to provide an authorization code for the transaction, and PayPal logged it and said they would remove it within a couple days.

Login to Me Too

kmtx29
New Community Member

I'm having the same exact problem--tried to place an online order but the transaction didn't complete, so I didn't get an order number since there is no record of it. However, my PayPal account was hit with a pre-authorization charge for the order, which is a nonexistent order.  The merchant hasn't been easy to deal with, and it's a shame that poor customer service from the merchant may result in my having the funds pending for 30 days before it drops off...there should be an easier way to resolve this instead of putting the sole burden on the customer when the merchant is at fault. 

After googling the merchant, which I've successfully used before, I see there are a lot of recent customer service complaints for similar issues. I will make one more attempt to resolve it through the merchant, and if that doesn't work,  I will be filing a complaint through PayPal, the merchant's corporate office, BBB, etc. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.