Error code #10417: Unable to process payment

Levdr
Contributor
Contributor

I have a bank account linked to my Paypal account and have been using Paypal for years without any problems. Only last week I bought some games on Steam using Paypal. Now all of a sudden I get this message and I can't pay. I'm in the Netherlands and I don't have a credit card, so this is the only way for me to use Paypal. There is more than enough money in the bank account, so that can't be it.

I tried calling Paypal but after almost an hour of waiting my turn, I hung up. I have better things to do. Still, I would like to buy this really nice bag on eBay. And I can't.

I've searched the board and the last thread about this issue was some 5 years ago and apparently it was not resolved as here I am, having the same processing error.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Levdr
Contributor
Contributor

And now I also cannot make a donation as apparently "there was an error communicating with PayPal" and I should "try again later".

What is going on with Paypal? I've been using it for years without any problems and now it's suddenly become unusable. Yet when I go into my account all is well. I'm lost... 

Login to Me Too

Levdr
Contributor
Contributor

I seem to be talking to myself here. But that's okay. I will think of it as a blog then, where I report my progress with Paypal, hoping that in the end this matter gets solved and can help others as well. 

I've sent them an email. Had an answer within a day. A very nice answer where it was confirmed that I had tried to make payments to a seller on eBay and couldn't. Then it was suggested I put money in my Paypal account after which I would be able to pay without a problem.

My problem with that answer is twofold: 

1. It's a workaround but doesn't address the issue 

2. I really didn't need a helpdesk person to tell me that (although I didn't tell them that, I'm far too polite for that...)

So, I've sent a reply telling them that their solution is a workaround and that I want an answer to the question why a linked bankaccount no longer works where it did all these years before. The more so since on my Paypal account it clearly says: "Bank account confirmed" and "You don't need money in your Paypal account to shop and transfer money" or whatever the English equivalent of the phrase is. 

I am awaiting their answer. 

Login to Me Too

Levdr
Contributor
Contributor

The answer I received as to why my linked bank account suddenly didn't work was that over the last months or so I had done a few small payments and that now an amount of 130 euro was considered too large a sum for Paypal to disburse.

The problem with this answer is that in the past Paypal would not disburse a too large amount of money but use delayed payment. I have on a few occasions paid substantial sums of money to eBay sellers over the years and they were accepted without a problem because Paypal used delayed payment. So why would Paypal now all of a sudden want to disburse 130 euro (and refuse to) when they could use a delayed payment? What has changed?

I have asked them this question and once again, await their answer.

Login to Me Too

Levdr
Contributor
Contributor
The saga goes on.

On May 6th, I received the answer that the PayPal system chose to not allow a delayed payment. Right. Question now is: why did the PayPal system chose to refuse a delayed payment when this was never a problem in the past. A month has gone by now and I have not received an answer to that question. I just asked the question again.

Also, if it is true that PayPal seemingly at random refuses delayed payments now, then PayPal's statement on my PayPal front page that I don't need money in my PayPal account to purchase things, is obviously a lie.
Login to Me Too

jwryan4
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry you've been talking to yourself, L., but I've been having the same problem with #10417, and only recently--I had to go to the merchant to find the error code, as PayPal wouldn't tell me anything, either.

I've had this issue regarding two merchants, both of which are overseas video game companies, regarding either 1) subscription renewals or 2) downloadable content.  Now, any other transaction?  Just fine.  But not these two video game companies, with whom I've been doing business with for years.   

1) PayPal tells me to talk to my bank. 

2) My bank had absolutely no idea what I was talking about, as PayPal didn't even present these transactions for withdrawal.

3) PayPal then tells me, oh, the merchants are automatically rejecting it from their end. 

4) The merchants tell me to ask PayPal what error code #10417 means;  I've gathered it's an account security issue on PayPal's end when it comes to certain oreign country transactions. 

5) So yeah, my workaround was simply to add money to my PayPal account and conduct these transactions with a balance, which defeats the whole purpose in the first place.  

It sucks, but it's the only thing I've discovered that works, since PayPal's obscenely atrocious customer service makes the cable company look like a community outreach program.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.