Does Paypal ask me to send money via Moneygram before I receive my payment?

Felix0201
Contributor
Contributor

Good Afternoon,

I tried to sell my Minivan via Craigslist in Toronto and got a reply from a guy, who said he's in San Antonio and he would like to buy the Car. After a couple of messages he told me he would transfer the payment onto my paypal account including the money for a hauling agency he assigned.
Now he wants me to transfer 950$ (the amount he paid more than my price was) via MoneyGram. The money wont appear in my paypal account before I transfer the money.

The whole story is very suspicious, he didn't ask anything about the car, why would he buy a car that's located in Toronto and ship it to San Antonio? And his whole writing was kind of... weird.

Do you think he's a Scammer? I found 2 links in this forum and both confirm my suspicion...

Here are screenshots of the mail: 

I hope you can help me with this one, I'm no english native speaker and I really don't know what to do. Does anyone think I should also talk to the police?

I'd appreciate your answers, best Greetings,
Felix

Login to Me Too
30 REPLIES 30

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Felix0201
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, that's good to know!
Thank you very much for your quick response, I really appreciate it!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Your welcome.   Smiley Happy

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sabretooth
New Community Member

I too have been contacted with something similar and cancelled it all before sending money thankfully, sometimes it pays (excuse the pun) to be suspicious! 

Just thought I'd add my story to help spread the word and stop others falling victim...

Login to Me Too

camelandbuffalo
Contributor
Contributor

This is basically the exact same query I have, though in relation to an item of jewellry. The 'buyer' wants me to pay shipping fees for an address in the US to moneygram prior to the payment showing in my account/being processed. I daresay this would be exactly the same type of scam??

I called Paypal who advised they would not request me to send money to a western union or other but the 'buyer' advised it wold be different as shes using US Paypal...? I am from Australia.

Thank you for your help - I do appreciate it.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Don't you believe it.  That buyer is full of it.  PayPal's the same everywhere.  Never, no way, would PayPal tell or have you to pay for shipping with Western Union, Moneygram, or other to who?  The buyer?  In order to release PayPal funds!!!  lol  I'd have replied with, "Bye Felicia!"  Smiley Very Happy

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

camelandbuffalo
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for your reply! I do appreciate it. She almost had me with the US vs. Australian Paypal line...at least i now know that it is the same everywhere. Thank you 🙂

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@camelandbuffalo, you're welcome! Smiley Happy

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

fernandezz831
Contributor
Contributor
I sold my iPod on Craig list and rare was this guy named Tom from NY supposedly, who wanted to buy it. He told me he was going to pay me the shipping to ship to his causing in Nigeria. I believed him and i shipped it. Next thing you know it said the item never arrived in Nigeria. Next they asked me to send another good amount of money via moneygram and i did. I gave them the tracking number and then again they asked me to send more money via western union. They told me i have $955 credited if i pay another $255 i don't know what to do. Please help me. Can i recover my money or not.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.