Can't send money to Russia?

Sangie
Contributor
Contributor

I keep trying to send a friend money to russia but can't and have to use Western Union. But he can send money to me. I've tried another Russian email address and it keeps saying "We're sorry, but we can't send your payment right now."

Why is this?

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yes they can send and receive, select Russia from the drop down box below and you can see that.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=%5fdisplay%2dcountry%2dfunctionality%2doutside&dispatch=58...

How are you trying to fund the payment to your friend?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Sangie
Contributor
Contributor
Im sending it as friends and family. Should I try as business service?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

As far as i am aware you can do it via friends or family.

But how are you funding the paypal payment? 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Sangie
Contributor
Contributor

I'm funding it with my checking account. It's not an echeck though. I've had this account for years.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Well thats odd as it should go through ok, i thought you may have been using your paypal balance which if that was the case you would need to have the funds in Russian currency but you don't from a bank account.

Your best bet is to contact customer services on this one >>

Click on the words "Contact" at the bottom of your paypal account summary.

Or have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?

It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DrDavidT
New Community Member

PayPal states that RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT restricts and prevents international payments from being received into a RUSSIAN PayPal account.

DON'T BE CONFUSED: What can be done domestically does not mean that system will allow internationally. 100% fact as of the date of this reply... You CANNOT send money to friends/family by PayPal from international location.

Login to Me Too

milo1952

Hello, I want to send money from the US to 'friends and family' in a Russian Paypal linked bank...in the Moscow area.. With

sanctions and such do you know which banks Paypal will link to? and how much the monthly limit is? I think Russians can

set up their account to be a 'dollar account' in their bank so the money received can be the same as money sent *US dollars to avoid currency conversions..

I don't want to hit any Paypal tripwires and and want to make sure this is a safe way to send money.. 

thanks if you have any info on this subject..

Login to Me Too

Carrollkat
New Community Member

Was told today by PayPal costumer service, Russia is not allowing payments from PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Sangie
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for confirming that I am not crazy : p

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.