Can I send money with a credit card?

hsmof5
Contributor
Contributor

I wanted to send money to a friend, but don't have enough in my paypal or bank accounts.  It did not give me the option to select a credit card to send the payment.  I am afraid it will try to withdraw from my bank account and I will be charged an overdraft.  Help?  The transaction does not yet appear on my summary page.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@hsmof5 wrote:

I sent the money today, but I know it won't clear my bank, so I'm hoping it will default to my card.

it wil try again in 2 days,it would not then charge your credit card.

BTW,if you use debit or credit card,there will be fee taken out,so if you sent 100,your friend will get less after Paypal takes out cc fee.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You can send money with credit card if you have one linked and confirmed generally but sometimes the system just doesn't give you the option for some unknown reason.  Try clearing browser cache and cookies and try again later.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

hsmof5
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.  I will try this if it doesn't go through.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

And have you already sent money to your friend with your bank account or you have not send payment yet?

When you have a card and bank account linked to your account and the Instant Transfer payment method option is available then PayPal fronts the money to pay your friend instantly and PayPal wait for payment to clear and use your credit card as back up if necessary.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

hsmof5
Contributor
Contributor

I sent the money today, but I know it won't clear my bank, so I'm hoping it will default to my card.

Login to Me Too
Solved

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@hsmof5 wrote:

it wil try again in 2 days,it would not then charge your credit card.

BTW,if you use debit or credit card,there will be fee taken out,so if you sent 100,your friend will get less after Paypal takes out cc fee.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.