Accepting PayPal at Yard Sale

Lisanne1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm going to be holding a Yard Sale and I thought it would be great to allow buyers to pay me through the PayPal App.

Does this sound like a good idea or can anyone think of a reason that I wouldn't want to do this?

(of course, cash is an option also but I thought I could sell more if I made it easier for folks to pay.)

Any suggestions?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Quandary
Advisor
Advisor

Although your intentions are great, it's seriously not a good idea. 

Here's a few reasons why:

* PayPal's Seller Protection Policy - you're only protected if you're selling tangible (something physical) items meaning the item can be shipped, tracked and you can provide proof of delivery.    As with a sales project such as this - your buyers will simply take the purchase item with them and you basically have voided your Seller Protection.

* You should have a "verified" PayPal Business account - a requirement to allow you to accept credit card transactions.  If you have a Personal account, you could accept funds however, there's no seller protection - the transactions would look like a someone (friend or family) simply sending you some money.  Note, there are very savy people out there, they know PayPal's policies and have no second thoughts about taking advantage of the situation - they could pay you, file a dispute against you, win the dispute and end with both the item and their money back.

* Bottom line - enjoy your yard sale and simply accept "cash only".  (Keep it simpe and you will have a great time + make a few bucks.)

Login to Me Too

Lisanne1
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you so much. These are excellent points. You've saved me a huge headache.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It's a good idea if you want to lose your money.

What PayPal app?

There is no reason to accept cash; you have no seller protection.

There is no reason buyer can't pay cash.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.