Won't let me accept invoice payment without verification?

gunnerk19
Contributor
Contributor

I've been a verified member of PayPal for years. I sent an invoice to someone for an item I sold that was not ebay related, and when I click "Accept" to receive my payment, it won't let me because I don't have a bank account linked to my PayPal.

I've been out of work for several months, so now work = no paycheck. This in turn = no bank account because I don't have the money to open one (the bank requires cash deposit to open an account). This is the entire reason why I sell things and use PayPal as my primary funding account, particularly for printing shipping labels online and having the funds automatically deducted from my PP account to pay for the shipping. If I buy anything I pay with my PayPal balance since that's where ally my money is.

I've never run into this problem before, I don't know why it won't let me accept the payment even though I've been a verified member for at least 10 years.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Things have changed a bit  - account verification is a legal requirement.  This is normally met when you link and confirm a bank account.

Here's some additional info:

Financial institutions such as banks, credit card issues and 3rd party transaction processors such as PayPal are required by law to verify the identity of the person behind any and all Accounts into which money is collected.  This stems from the USA Patriot Act, Title III, Anti-money laundering to prevent terrorism where as institutions put into place reasonable steps to identify beneficial owners of bank accounts and those who are authorized to use or route funds through payable-through accounts.

PayPal takes advantage of the fact that you had to prove to the bank you are who you say you are.  Therefore, by linking and confirming your bank account, the background work has already been done and PayPal has now met the legal requirements to protect themselves.

PayPal's FAQs state: To Verify your PayPal account, just link your bank account to your PayPal account or be approved for PayPal Smart Connect or the PayPal Plus MasterCard®. (Note, the PayPal Plus MasterCard was introduced in 2001.  In 2011 the name was changed to the PayPal Extras MasterCard.)

From experience, we’ve learned that in order to use PayPal without limits, it best to link and confirm a bank account (checking account) plus link and confirm a credit card (not the prepaid type) and register your SSN # .  (Note, when you link and confirm a credit card, this acts as additional proof of ID, a backup funding source and allows you to do instant transfers verses sending eChecks or in the UK eCheques.)

Login to Me Too

gunnerk19
Contributor
Contributor

I read this same form resonse to another person's question. That still doesn't answer my question.

I don't have a bank account. I don't have money to open one. All my money is in my paypal account.

I've been receiving payments without problem for years when I sell something. Now that I've sent an invoice asking for payment I'm getting this issue. Whenever I give someone my paypal address to make payment directly I have the funds available right away without a problem. So what's the difference between the two? I'm still Verified and have been for years.

Login to Me Too

lloumiet
Contributor
Contributor

I hear you for sure, and just wondering, have you made any complaints/disputes to PayPal about any of this?  I sell on eBay and I have had close to the same issue now for about the last two weeks, even though I do have a bank account linked with PayPal and I also have been verified for years...I had some problems with PayPal taking money out of my bank account without my authorization when I plainly told them several times that I wanted to use different payment methods, or else they just plain didn't let me choose which payment method I wanted to use, and now since I've complained about it to my bank and to PayPal and to eBay, my PayPal account has been somewhat crippled all of a sudden, I can't conduct any kind of business from my PayPal balance from my eBay sales at all since I reported the unauthorized stuff to my bank and my bank decided to change my account number so that no more unauthorized PayPal debits could be made.  Now PayPal won't let me do anything with the money I earn from my eBay sales, they say they'll take my money off of "hold" status if I "just upload my new bank account numbers and my social security number"...but no way, not after all the havoc that they caused before...I just agree wholeheartedly with this poster, and ask the same question...how can I get to my PayPal balance without giving in to PayPal's demands and giving them my new account numbers?  I still have credit cards on my PayPal account, why are those restricted now too unless I link my bank?  Weird!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.