Why is Steam blocked by Paypal security?

colorado_jones
Contributor
Contributor

I've been trying to purchase a game through Steam and payment ain't going through. I called Paypal support and the only information they could give me is that Steam is flagged by their security, so I can't make a purchase even though my account is in good standing and I have the funds available.

But, seriously. Steam? It's Steam. What's the issue?

I tried to go around this and purchase a CD-Key through other sites, but I keep running into the same problem.

Does anyone know why Steam is blocked by Paypal security?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

colorado_jones
Contributor
Contributor

Got it! I tried another vendor and was able to make a purchase. Still not sure why I couldn't through Steam, but it's all good now.

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@colorado_jones

Are you funding the purchase from funds in your paypal balance?

If so then do you have a back up card linked to your paypal account as well?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

colorado_jones
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have both. I called the help line and they said there was nothing wrong with my account... I have sufficient funds in my paypal account and a credit card linked to my account.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@colorado_jones

Well loads of paypal users buy from Steam so not sure why you can't.   Smiley Frustrated

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

colorado_jones
Contributor
Contributor

I know, I've made purchases before through PP. I'm just not sure why support said there's a security issue with Steam, or what that issue is.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@colorado_jones

Have you ever done a chargeback or similar via a purchase from steam via paypal?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

colorado_jones
Contributor
Contributor

No, never have.

I've also tried to buy a steam key for the game through another website... but that was denied as well.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@colorado_jones

Found this on the Steam site but again does not seem to apply to you.

PayPal

• Instant transfers

To make a payment with PayPal without having a credit card linked to your PayPal account, you must have the total amount of your purchase in your PayPal account balance. PayPal does not offer transfers directly from your bank account without having a backup credit card tied to the account. You will need to move funds from your bank account into your PayPal account and use your PayPal balance as the method of payment.

If you already have a credit card listed on your PayPal account but PayPal is blocking your Instant Transfer, your account may have been limited by PayPal. You will need to contact PayPal directly to learn more about their Funding Options and Limitations.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too
Solved

colorado_jones
Contributor
Contributor

Got it! I tried another vendor and was able to make a purchase. Still not sure why I couldn't through Steam, but it's all good now.

Thanks for your help!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.