How do I cancel a pending vendor payment?

KaseyW
Contributor
Contributor

I placed an on-line order and attempted to use PayPal to complete the transaction.  I received notification from the vendor that PayPal had not processed the payment.  In speaking with the vendor's Customer Service Rep, I was told that when this happens, even if the problem is cleared up with PayPal, transaction processing will be delayed about 3 days.  So I gave them my credit card info to allow my order to be shipped today.

I then called PayPal Customer Service and, after a l-o-o-n-g wait, was finally connected to a Service Rep who discovered that, for some reason, the system had attempted to withdraw the funds from a PayPal account I don't have rather than charging my credit card.  After making sure all my account information was correct, I ended the call.

I thought my problems were solved until I discovered a Help posting that said that, when a payment request doesn't go through initially, after a while, other available resources on my account would be accessed to complete the transaction.  Since I've already made payment directly to the vendor, I don't want PayPal to process the pending request, but I've been unsuccessful at finding a way to cancel the pending payment.

Do I need to take further steps to avoid a double payment?  Or will the pending transaction eventually go away because the vendor doesn't need it?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

earndt
New Community Member

Ugh, something similar happened to me so I can't really provide an answer (after searching and searching and emailing customer service and the "help" or resolution question & answer section), but I can emphasize with you.  

I just made three fatty purchases tonight, and accidentally selected the WRONG credit card that I have on file (I have two).  I meant to pay with the other one.  I looked at the recent activity and two of the purchases went through after just a few minutes.  I'm wondering if they can refund my money after taking it out of my debit card account and switch it to my other card.  Just really annoyed how there's nothing on this subject. 

So I know I'm no help but I'm struggling with a similar issue - well sort of 

Login to Me Too

KaseyW
Contributor
Contributor

I actually know the answer to the question in my case.  Yesterday evening I got an email from PayPal stating that my payment did not go through.  It ended with: 

"This transaction will be marked as Cancelled in your PayPal account. To see the details of the original transaction, please log in to your PayPal account."

Also, due to a data breach, my bank had recently issued me a new credit card and both the old and new cards were listed by PayPal.  When I was speaking to a very pleasant Customer Service Rep she deleted the info for the defunct card to avoid problems like the one you mentioned.  I'd suggest you take the time on hold to get to talk to a real person.  It was worth the wait for me.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.