Double Charge for a payment that was cancelled?

DringSongBion
New Community Member

I had this transaction that was a typo on my part. So it ended up adding an extra zero to the amount I wanted to buy from a seller. So they cancelled the payment, but it still went through to the bank once and I took overdraft fees. I'm fine. I made a mistake. But then it tried to charge me AGAIN when it clearly says cancelled on the paypal site. I'm extremely frustrated because I've lost 70$ in bank fees and am worried it's going to try to do this again.

Is there anything I can do about this?

I feel no security here. No, I wasn't charged twice. Only one transaction shows on my history.

What is going on here?

Is it going to keep happening?

Please make it stop. I won't be able to pay rent if this keeps up. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You'll need to discuss overdraft fees with your bank.  That's not PayPal's responsibility as it is your own responsibility to have sufficient funds in your bank account to cover unexpected charges.

Once a payment is initiated it can't be stopped.  PayPal generally makes at least 2 attempts to get funds from your bank acocunt; that's automatic.  When the first one failed, PayPal waited and then made a second automatic attempt; thus 2 NSF charges by your bank.  The repeat attempts are part of the single transcation.

As for cancelling the error, you didn't specify at what point and at what seling site the purchase was cancelled.  If the seller cancelled a sale, it wouldn't be an automatic refund or sale denial.  PayPal would have had to be notifed to stop the sale or refund.  More detais needed about the purchase and cancellation:  who, where, how?

Perhpas you should call PayPal urgently and make sure no more attempts are made until the cancellation process is completed.  In many cases, it's much more effective to phone PayPal immediately rather than allow delays to occur when posting here to other users.

Login to Me Too

ShiraYuki
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

this is how paypal process instant bank transfer

Process payment ----> (NSF) ---->(3 days leeway to add funds)---->process payment again ---->(NSF) ----> backup fund (card)

you should have called you bank the moment to realized you made a mistake to stop auth.

you can call paypal and request Bank Letter that you can send to your bank hopelly will accept and waive your nsf fees

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.