Conversion of USD to **bleep** Yen. then funds stolen

Nhopkins
Contributor
Contributor

On July 7th,

someone gained access to my Paypal account and converted my USD to Yen.

Then they stole my entire account balance of $488USD.

Then, strangely, I began getting unauthorized deposited into my account. These unsuspecting buyers were paying for iPhones.

I do not sell iPhones. They , of course, thought I was the bad guy. Understandable.

These deposits were supposedly misdirected by the same thief so as to "cover up" the theft, I guess.

My account got up to over $5,000. Eventually, Paypal reversed all of the unauthorized deposits but now I am left with my empty Paypal account.

I cannot seem to make Paypal get involved and trace the theft of my funds.

My only lead is this: On the same day, my wife used my account to buy some headsets from headsets.com.

I interrogated her relentlessly asking her about every keystroke. She swears she did not click on any emails from the vendor with "receipts" or "confirmations" or "requests for sign-in info".

My only thought is that some employee fo the headsets.com company got ahold of the account and somehow busted through the security and got in my account.

I don't know how they did it.

Has anything like this happened to anyone out there?

Any suggestions?

Note: I have been doing this eBay/Paypal thing for about 15 years. I am an experienced user. My wife, a little less so.

Comments anyone?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_AshleyP

Hi Nhopkins,

I'm very sorry to hear about the unauthorized activity that took place on your account.

When this person converted your balance and exited the funds, was it through payments sent or through a bank withdrawal? Either way, you should be able to report this activity to us by following these steps:

• Go to your Resolution Center
  • Click on report a problem
  • Select I want to report a transaction that I didn't authorize
  • Select the appropriate transactions and then submit

Please note that the review process can take up to 10 business days.

Also, you can read more about protecting yourself from unauthorized activity here: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/buy-and-sell-safely.

-AshleyPHeart

If you found my reply helpful, please accept it as a solution. Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.