US account

Jaxson1
New Community Member

I live in Canada.  Sorry, but I am new to things.  I have a Canadian bank acct. linked to my paypal.  I got some US funds sent to me through Paypal, so I tried to link my US bank account (which I have in a Canadian bank) so I could transfer to it.   When I went to transfer the money, I noticed it assumes my account is in Canadian funds and so is going to make the exchange.  Is there a way to make my account be known as the US acct. that it is.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Nikki111
New Community Member

I work at a Canadian bank and have had branches ask this exact question so I decided to investigate myself.

I contacted Paypal directly and spoke to one of their agents. As it stands right now, if someone sets up an account on Paypal that is a Canadian bank account- although the specific account type is in USD funds, it will not work. When the paypal user receives funds in USD, this will be converted to Canadian funds before being deposited. The only Financial Institution that has it set up where their Canadian clients can have the funds remain in USD currency when being deposited is RBC.

Paypal advised the Canadian Financial Institution would have to set this up so their customers can have this option, but I'm not sure how true that is. Hopefully Paypal at some point will have a system fix for this.

Login to Me Too

AGarry
New Community Member

I read your co

@Nikki111 wrote:

I work at a Canadian bank and have had branches ask this exact question so I decided to investigate myself.

I contacted Paypal directly and spoke to one of their agents. As it stands right now, if someone sets up an account on Paypal that is a Canadian bank account- although the specific account type is in USD funds, it will not work. When the paypal user receives funds in USD, this will be converted to Canadian funds before being deposited. The only Financial Institution that has it set up where their Canadian clients can have the funds remain in USD currency when being deposited is RBC.

Paypal advised the Canadian Financial Institution would have to set this up so their customers can have this option, but I'm not sure how true that is. Hopefully Paypal at some point will have a system fix for this.

I read you reply and thanks for the info.. Just to be clear.. are you saying that if I have an RBC US $ account (that I have) and I link it to my Canadian PayPal account that the US $ deposits I receive will not be converted to CAD $ first as will all other banks except RBC and any PayPal US $ will be deposited directly my RBC US $ account as US funds to that account? 

I read you reply and thanks for the info.. Just to be clear.. are you saying that if I have an RBC US $ account (that I have) and I link it to my Canadian PayPal account that the US $ deposits I receive will not be converted to CAD $ first as will all other banks except RBC and any PayPal US $ will be deposited directly my RBC US $ account as US funds to that account? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.