Who pays the fee for a personal payment to friends and family using a credit card?

gaver
Contributor
Contributor

I would assume if the sender uses a credit card, the sender would be charged 2.9% + $.30 (USA), but NOT the receiver (this is a personal payment). I have a friend who claims to have been charged a fee when receiving money, because the sender used a credit card.

I could not find a straight answer on this in the fee payment information section.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

gaver
Contributor
Contributor

Final answer:

Even though I never saw the sender's actual proof on their computer or phone, they did admit they clicked on send money for goods and services by accident, since they were multi-tasking and it is the first button on the left, at least on the computer, so in their hurry, they clicked it instead of send money to family and friends.

The receiver originally said they were charged a fee because of using a credit card, but they were mistaken, it was because it was sent for goods and services.
The sender settled up to the receiver by giving cash, since it wasn't much.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I think you friend has the straight answer.  What better than an actual transfer to see?

Actually, we don't know the details of your reference transaction if it was sent as goods/services (which I suspect) or family/friends.

Here is from PayPal policies which you can easily find at Legal below.

The fees applicable to sending money can be found on the Fees for Sending Money to Friends and Family page and will be disclosed to you in advance each time you initiate a transaction to send money to a friend or family member. If you convert money in your PayPal balance from one currency to another before sending money, you also will pay a currency conversion spread for that conversion. And, if you use your credit card as the payment method when sending money, you may be charged a cash-advance fee by your card issuer.

Login to Me Too

gaver
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick response.

Actually, both the sender and receiver are friends of mine, I'm researching for the sender.

The receiver is claiming (to the sender) to have been charged the fee. I will get more details from the sender, but it is possible they sent it as payments for goods and services by mistake and not a personal payment. 

I tried a personal payment test with and without credit card, and the fee is clearly stated as to whether it's $0 using bank, or .29%+$.30 using credit card for ME as the sender, but it doesn't say what the receiver will be charged. I would assume $0 for both using bank or credit card, but it doesn't specify what the receiver will be charged either way.

Once I find out what the sender did (they claim to have done it a lot), I will update the question.

Thanks, again!

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

For friends and family the recipient should have not fee unless there is a currency conversion.

Caution with tests as they can trigger security alerts for PayPal.

Login to Me Too

gaver
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I already saw a pending + and - on my credit card for $1.00. 🙂

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

sender pays the fee if using a credit or debit card,say if y ou want the recipient to receive $100,then you better send more than $100,like 100 +30 cents +2.90= 103.10

if you dont want to pay the fee,then use the bank fund or paypal fund.

Login to Me Too

gaver
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, the sender gets charged a fee of 100 * .029 + .30 = 2.90 + .30 = 3.20, and it shows on the screen that the sender will be charged $103.20 for using the credit card for a personal payment, so whether the receiver is also charged $3.20 is the question.

If the sender sent it as a purchase, then probably what happened in this case was the sender sent $100, the receiver was charged 3.20, so only received $96.80, so now the recevier is asking the sender to send an additional $3.20 to make up to the $100. Since this is not a purchase, I can see why the receiver would want the $3.20, because they were expecting $100.

Login to Me Too
Solved

gaver
Contributor
Contributor

Final answer:

Even though I never saw the sender's actual proof on their computer or phone, they did admit they clicked on send money for goods and services by accident, since they were multi-tasking and it is the first button on the left, at least on the computer, so in their hurry, they clicked it instead of send money to family and friends.

The receiver originally said they were charged a fee because of using a credit card, but they were mistaken, it was because it was sent for goods and services.
The sender settled up to the receiver by giving cash, since it wasn't much.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.