Using PayPal to commit Fraud

Markham
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

A charge from paypal appeared on my credit card, dated March 1st in excess of $500, with the description 'PayPay - Beautifully'. Keeping a close eye on such things, I filed a fraudulent charge March 6th with my bank, cancelled that credit card account, and was issued a new account. The charge was reversed, only to have it re-appear on my new account on April 21st.

The reason given: Merchant has proof of delivery.  Hmmm, did receive a creepy padded envelope on March 18th with a few strands of hair in it, had a barcode with USPS tracking number on it, no return address, mailed on March 14th. Total postage $2.47, weight 1.8 ounces. Notified USPS and filed a mail fraud claim.

So, apparently, this envelope mailed 14 days after the fraudlent charge, is now the gold standard for paypal to refuse the chargeback.  Who or How do I contact paypal to point out the fraud committed March 1st, disputed March 6th, is now 'good a gold' with an anonymous letter mailed March 14th? I can't even get a clue who this merchant is.

Did paypay give out my account name to this merchant when the charge was disputed ? Thereby allowing the fraudsters ample time to google my address? Then cover there tracks with yet more fraud?

I need this charge reversed, but can't seem to find the correct steps.      

I

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Did you are anyone else purchase anything with your credit card in person recently?

Login to Me Too

Markham
Contributor
Contributor

Not at all, this is a seldom used account. Don't know how anyone obtained the card info, was last used around Christmas.

Anyway, further developments, I bounced around paypal customer support, went from the fraud department, to Disputes and Claims, and then back to the fraud department.  Turns out paypal may finally see my side of things, BUT the hangup is my issuing bank of the credit card has closed the chargeback based on the proof of delivery. So now I need to convince the Bank to re-open the chargeback so paypal can do it's investigation. Hopefully anyone wanting to commit fraud isn't reading this, 'cuz it pretty much lays out how to game the system.   Just send someone an empty envelope with USPS tracking and viola 'proof of delivery', two weeks late, and empty based on the shipping weight....   

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What was the proof of delivery?  Did you get an answer to that?  What was the actual delivery address?

Login to Me Too

Markham
Contributor
Contributor

Anything with USPS tracking is considered proof of delivery, doesn't require a signature, just lands in your mailbox. The merchant can then claim they sent you a brand new car in the mail to fight the chargeback on the original credit card fraud, using mail fraud to cover the credit card fraud.  They warn you not to answer 'Yes' to a phone solicitor, as this can be twisted as proof of you ordered something, in this scenario, the 'proof of delivery'  is nothing more than a scam coming through the mail instead of over the phone.     

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.