Paypal Here card - why would you be ineligible

pe94
Contributor
Contributor

I have had a Paypal business account for years and very seldom need to reach a human. That's a good thing because when I do it is impossible to get an immediate answer.  You have to wait 24 to 72 hours which in a business world is unacceptable.  After receiving an email saying my Paypal Here card was available, I went online to apply and answered the questions which were amazingly deep *(like the color of my car) - which says they know more about me that I would have preferred.  The reply back said "not eligible" with no other information.  What would cause a business to not be eligible?  I need to get a card reader to collect some money at a trade show next week.  I wanted to use the Paypal card but it looks like I will need to go ahead and get a Square for my other merchant account which is a shame because the Paypal card fees are less.  Thought I'd ask here to see if I get a reply and if so other people would be able to benefit from the answer.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

pe94
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I don't know if it was my posts here or what but I just got not one but two emails saying I've been approved.  And I am pleased.  I did my research and the Paypal Here card is cheaper than the Square and all the purchases on my estore go through Paypal so this makes a lot more sense for me.  I have a device in the mail and Patty Happy.  Thanks to you for posting a reply.  I really appreciate it.  I am very active on another forum and it's people like you who have the courtesy to at least respond that make forums like this a worthwhile investment in time.  Keep up the good work and again, Thank you!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Are you trying to get a PayPal credit card or a PayPal Here reader?

The basic reader is free; the EMV card reader is about $150.

I don't understand the issue.

Login to Me Too

pe94
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to get the PayPal here card reeder - the free one, not the one that reads pin cards. When I went online to,request the free reader I got the ineligible message.  I spoke with a rep but they said it would 72 hours before I heard back so I decided to check here. Thought I had explained it in the first post. Happy to elaborate more.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Here is the source of the confusion in your OP:  "After receiving an email saying my Paypal Here card was available"

In what country are you?  All countries may not be elligible.

I would have thought the rep would provide an immediate answer.  Suggest you call again and get a different rep and ask to be transferred to someone who can help.

Login to Me Too

pe94
Contributor
Contributor

I am in the US. I tried calling back and the person would not route me higher in the food chain. So, I am going to call it a day and go get the Square. Thanks for your comments. Would have hoped to hear back from a PayPal rep.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Square does have some really nice features, especially for inventory management and you get a free Square online store.  I've researched both.  Square has everthing a person could want, even splitting payments with the reader and cash.  The one thing (and the deal-breaker for me) that Square does NOT offer is bluetooth printing for and Android system.

PayPal is the only Android service and reader which currently supports and bluetooth printer.  PayPal also does ot display categorires on an Android smartphone; a tablet is required for that.  Square has better support for discounts than PayPal.  I do like the PayPal chip card reader with keypad and display; that's the one I use.  It costs more than Square and more than Clover Go.

Actually, I think Square phone support is now better than PayPal phone support.

Login to Me Too
Solved

pe94
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I don't know if it was my posts here or what but I just got not one but two emails saying I've been approved.  And I am pleased.  I did my research and the Paypal Here card is cheaper than the Square and all the purchases on my estore go through Paypal so this makes a lot more sense for me.  I have a device in the mail and Patty Happy.  Thanks to you for posting a reply.  I really appreciate it.  I am very active on another forum and it's people like you who have the courtesy to at least respond that make forums like this a worthwhile investment in time.  Keep up the good work and again, Thank you!

Login to Me Too

blehrer
New Community Member

How was it resolved? I have the same problem and I am in the US

Login to Me Too

pe94
Contributor
Contributor

I finally spoke to a support person who was able to approve it. No reason was given as to why I had the problem in the first place.

Login to Me Too

Riffmusic
New Community Member

I am having the same issue.  And I have been on hold 45 minutes.  I gave up.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.