I sold something and the buyer is falsely claiming "not as described"

jackson123
Contributor
Contributor

My Paypal funds have been locked due to a buyer that started a return request. I won't refund his money because there was absolutely nothing wrong with what I sold him. The pictures and description were exactly what he got, he's claiming that I said something that I did not in my description. I emailed him but haven't heard back. How can I get Paypal to unlock my funds? How long before Ebay reads our emails and unlocks my funds? I can't believe that they would lock them up before they even look into it! That's pretty crappy. Ebay really is all about the buyer these days 😞

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If there is an official dispute open you must comply with PayPal requests for information.  If you ignore, you will lose.

There are very important considerations here that could impact the outcome.  The fact that you won't consider a refund may be your most expensive option in this case.  What you want does not matter once the dispute is open.  What matters is PayPal policy and how astute the buyer is about PayPal policies.  Buyer's have an advantage in a not-as-described case.

You haven't provided details about the buyer's claims.  The buyer submits evidence to show the item is not as described.  You submit evidence that it is.  PayPal has no clue which party is honest.  PayPal has never seen the item nor the packaging.  PayPal may rule in favor of the buyer.  The buyer will then return the item at buyer expense with tracking to show returned.  When tracking shows items returned PayPal will force a refund and will not reverse the seller fees.  You examine the returned product and find that it has been damaged (a possility) so you appeal the decision and submit evidence.  This will take weeks with an uncertain outcome.

On the other hand, you could negotiate a deal with the buyer now and settle for likely less money.

Selling online have risks.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

if he has used Ebay to contact you for a return,then it is Ebay which placed a hold on your money in your Paypal account.

the next step is for you to respond via Ebay if you approve the return,how did he open a case?

item not as described>

then yo pay return shipping by sending him a return shipping label,if you do not,Ebay will and charge it to your seller account once he used it .

if you think he is full of BS,then you can get Ebay involved and it will review both sides argument,chances are he will be allowed to return the item.

so what is the reason he used to return the item?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

since no third party has seen the item,item not as described ten to favor the buyer.

-ebay and paypal figures you get your item backto fight another day and he gets his money back to fight another day,Fair?

But Ebay punishes the seller by making him pick up return shipping by sending buyer a return shipping label at your expense.

If you haev a no return policy,then it is worse,as Ebay will refund him the money and let him keep the item since no return means you dont want it back.

there is  no way seller can win ,if he loses on Ebay,he goes to pAYPAL,if he loses Paypal ,he goes to his cc issuer,and he wil win and not have to return the item. 

A trend has already started ,sellers  with good merchandise are skipping Ebay to sell on liveautioneers via participant galleries ,there is no such thing as seller pays return shipping.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Whac-A-Mole

A gloomy outlook for the seller, but accurate.

That is why  a negotiated settle will often be the least costly outcome.  It's just how business works.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.