I received a paypal payment, via Ebay sale, but buyer disappears.

hlorenz
New Community Member

I sold an item on 4/16 for $780 via Ebay for local pick-up only.  The guy paid with Paypal and I have not heard from him since. I emailed via Ebay and Paypal and nothing. It has been 7 days. Two concerns: First somehow this is a scam that I cannot identify. Two: He eventually contacts me picks up his local item, but then tells Paypal he never received it. I am just learning this from teh Ebay forums. I am about to leave town for 3 months, and need to sort this out. It is not an item that can be mailed. 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hlorenz

You should never accept paypal for an item that is collected as you have no seller protection.

That is why ebay allows you to list cash on collection only for items that are collected or personally delivered.

If you are selling items for that high cost why would you not read up on seller protection first?

My advice is to try and phone the buyer first > refund their payment and ask for cash on collection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

hlorenz
New Community Member
Thank you I appreciate your help. I thought I had protection from Paypal. Clearly I did not understand it correctly. I will attempt to do this if I can find the person. They have not responded at all since making their purchase.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hlorenz

Have you pulled their contact information from Ebay and phoned them?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

hlorenz
New Community Member
I am trying to find that information now. He has 100% buyer rate for over 200 people.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hlorenz

Well its impossible to get under 100% BUYER rate on Ebay as sellers can't leave neg feedback for buyers !!

To get contact info go to advanced search top of any Ebay page > contact member left column > fill in the details and Ebay email you their tel number and they get yours.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

hlorenz
New Community Member
That's great thank you! I spoke with them on the phone, but they told me they can't give out information. I will go the route you mentioned. At this point, I will most likely just cancel the sale. I appreciate your help.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.