Cancelled e-check

Blue8505
Contributor
Contributor
Paypal and Ebay have a big problem on their hands allowing buyers to pay with e-checks. I'm a novice seller on Ebay. I sell maybe 1-2 times a year. Personal things, mostly cell phones after upgrading. Within the last couple weeks I sold my phone. I got notice of a payment on Ebay/Paypal. I was happy just like any other time I'd sold something. On Ebay it says "ship to fund". In Paypal on the pending payment it says "ok to ship" I shipped the phone and the buyer (scammer) cancelled the payment a few days later. I had never even heard of an e-check. I didn't know it was possible to cancel a payment. Pending or otherwise. This was to be money towards Christmas for my kids. I'm really **bleep** that sone thief was able to get my phone for free!
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Quandary
Advisor
Advisor

Seems the buyer was aware of how eChecks work and took advantage of a loophole - the buyer did not have a backup funding source so he or she was able to choose the eCheck funding option.  As the funds came from the buyer's bank account, after the eCheck was sent, the buyer then contacted his or her bank and requested that eCheck payment be cancelled - basically the buyer cannot cancel it directly but, the bank can if requested.

Here's the details from one of the FAQs:

An eCheck is an electronic payment funded by the buyer’s bank account.  With an eCheck, the recipient should receive the money within 3-6 business days.

Both eChecks and Instant Transfers are ways to pay with your bank account. With an Instant Transfer, the recipient receives the money right away. You only need to have a confirmed U.S. bank account to send an eCheck, but an Instant Transfer also requires a backup funding source such as a credit or debit card registered on your PayPal account.

For buyers:
Before you make a payment, make sure you have enough money in your bank account to cover the eCheck. If there’s not enough money in your bank account, the bank will decline the payment and PayPal will represent it a second time.

You cannot send an eCheck if the Instant Transfer option is available. eChecks cannot be partially funded by a PayPal balance, so the full amount will always be requested from your bank.

If you’d like to cancel an eCheck after it’s issued, please call your bank. If you’d like to cancel an eCheck that has already cleared, please contact the seller directly to request a refund.

For sellers:
If you are issuing a refund and don’t have sufficient funds available in your PayPal balance, an eCheck with the full refund amount will be issued. Note that an eCheck for the full amount will always be requested from your bank, since eChecks cannot be partially funded by a PayPal balance.

Login to Me Too

Blue8505
Contributor
Contributor
Yes. This scammer created an eBay account to steal from sellers like me that don't sell very often. I have noticed 2 other feedbacks around the same day that he/she did the same trick to them. I'm now versed in what e-checks are but only after i was ripped off. I knew there were a lot of fraudsters on Ebay but it blows my mind that people can fake a payment like this. This is going to happen a lot until Ebay/Paypal can do something to make this harder to pull off. Sellers like me don't realize the scam till it's too late.This really gives Ebay/Paypal more of a bad rep. I actually had signature required on delivery but it was delivered to a PO Box in Miami. From what I have read they hold those packages at the counter? I have no way of knowing though. USPS tracking just says delivered to PO Box on 9/20.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.