Can someone without a PayPal account send me money without having to sign up?

ktnarnia
New Community Member

Years ago, people didn't need a PayPal account to send money to a PayPal user. They could visit the website, click on "send money" and input the email address of the account holder and the amount of money they wished to send, then they simply input their card number, like a regular transaction. I am finding it more and more difficult to get paid for freelance services with this feature seemingly missing. Is it still there and I'm just not looking in the right place?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

TimePerfected
Contributor
Contributor

Sign up required, laws in place "US Patriot Act" "Bank Secrecy Act" overruled by FINCEN require IDs of all person(s) transacting and that the record be kept for 7 years (might be 5 years) from the date of the transaction.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/send-money-online

"*Funds go right into their PayPal account, and if they don’t have one signup is quick and free."

So the answer is no.

Good Luck! Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

TimePerfected
Contributor
Contributor

Sign up required, laws in place "US Patriot Act" "Bank Secrecy Act" overruled by FINCEN require IDs of all person(s) transacting and that the record be kept for 7 years (might be 5 years) from the date of the transaction.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/send-money-online

"*Funds go right into their PayPal account, and if they don’t have one signup is quick and free."

So the answer is no.

Good Luck! Smiley Very Happy

Login to Me Too

ktnarnia
New Community Member

Do you know if there is a service similar to PayPal that I could switch to that allows this feature? It needs to be simpler. The buyer shouldn't need to sign up for any account. I'm wondering if there's anything out there like what I'm seeking or if the laws you mentioned made it impossible for all companies.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.