Account created by someone else using similar gmail address

mccune68
Contributor
Contributor

I've had a PayPal account for many years with my gmail address as the primary email.  That address is in the format firstname.lastname(at)gmail.com.  I don't know how common of knowledge this is, but any dots in gmail names are treated like separate email addresses in a lot of places, but gmail treats them as the same email address; I get any mail sent to firstnamelastname(at)gmail.com in my normal gmail inbox.

Well, apparently someone has set up a PayPal account at this firstnamelastname(at)gmail.com address, and I keep getting their emails.  I don't think they are actually in my email as I keep a close eye on my google account and where it's being accessed from.  But I'm not very comfortable with someone using what is my email address in a system like PayPal.

I can't close the other account myself because I don't know what password they used to set it up.  And I can't reset the password because i don't have the phone number on their account nor do I know their security questions.  I'm assuming I need to either call in and talk with customer service or just live with this, right?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

James-1234
Contributor
Contributor

I have had this issue twice, exactly as you describe.  I would also like to point out an additional aspect that highlights a very bad practice by PayPal.  They are sending account information out to an UNCONFIRMED address.  If you have firstname.lastname (at) gmail.com, then there is no way that another person has firstnamelastname (at) gmail.com, and there is no way that they were able to confirm their email during the PayPal signup process.  When someone creates a PayPal account, PayPal sends out a confirmation email.  If the person does not respond by confirming, PayPal apparently just uses the address anyway.  This is a security and privacy concern for sure.

Login to Me Too

vgolias
New Community Member

I have exactly the same problem.

I contacted Paypal support and I've been informed that nothing can be done because for them fnamelname(at)gmail.com, fname.lname(at)gmail.com, e.t.c (put as many dots as you like) are different addresses.

I was consulted to contact Google!

I've been told that one has to validate his e-mail address once he wants to send/withdraw money.

In the meantime, the other guy keeps ordering things and I receive its notifications and receipts!

Login to Me Too

James-1234
Contributor
Contributor

Me too.  After several automated support emails, PayPal actually told me I had to call their tech support to get this issue resolved.  Honestly, it wasn't that important to me and I just dropped the issue.  It's a nuissance for me, but a privacy and security issue for the other person.  One might think that PayPal would take these issues seriously, but clearly they don't.

Also, it is complete BS that PayPal "can't" do anything about the issue.  PayPal certainly COULD do something about this, like verifying email addresses before they start spewing out personal information and purchase data.  They could also put in special handling for Gmail addresses.  I agree that Google made some weird and problematic choices for handling dots in addresses, but it is a total cop out for PayPal to just point a finger and say "it's Google's problem."  That kind of customer service is infuriating to me.

If PayPal thinks that their dominant market position will provide them with an endless supply of captive users, they are delusional.  I care about privacy and security, and I know that a lot other users do too.  I'm continuing to use PayPal for now, but I am always keeping an eye out for companies that are serious about protecting user data.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.