change default shipping method OR add shipping dropdown option (w/ rate table by quantity) to button

srf046
Contributor
Contributor

It seems Paypal defaults to the cheapest shipping option defined, which is causing a problem for me because while I want to offer local pickup ($0), I don't want that to be what the shipping calculator shows automatically because it is misleading to the majority of (non-local) purchasers… not to mention if they don't think to click the shipping drop down box and select the 'Standard' option, they won't be billed for the necessary shipping and it will make a big mess of things.

All I really want is for the 'Standard Shipping' method and defined rate table to be used as the default/in the initial calculations, but have 'Pickup' be an option in the 'Shipping Method' drop down as well.

My regular shipping rates are by quantity (1-2 items= $7, 3-9 items = $13, 10+ = $18), and then the total cart cost + shipping (if not doing local pickup) is taxable if the shipping address is in Texas.

I thought maybe I could have the customer choose a shipping method before going to checkout, in a drop down just like how they would choose their size (I'm selling shirts), and I found this thread discussing how to make that happen: https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Business/Shipping-Drop-Down-Options-on-Add-to-Cart-Button/... Unfortunately though I couldn't figure out how to alter it in a way that acknowledged the tax requirements and kept my shipping rate table in tact.

Any thoughts on how to adapt the above example to fit my needs, or other ideas? I know I can use a 3rd party cart and will resort to that if necessary, just wanted to make sure there wasn't a way to achieve it with some additional coding magic before scrapping this route. Also could make duplicate items and define their shipping amounts to be $0/overriding the settings saved in my profile, but that would create problems with inventory management and honestly just be confusing to users to see a duplicate product.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to provide!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Keep in mind that you are using Payments Standard.  There are things you can do and things you can't do.  What you have in mind requires more than the off the shelf features available thru Payments Standard.  You would need some custom programming to do what you have in mind.  There are options, yes, there's building a custom application and there's 3rd party shopping carts.  Bottom line, you can seek the assistance of a Developer or find a 3rd party cart that has the features you need.

Login to Me Too

srf046
Contributor
Contributor

i figured that was the case but wanting to be positive before proceeding, so your prompt response was greatly appreciated. thanks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.